Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nationals Clinch Playoff Spot

Nationals clinch postseason slot, beat Dodgers - Yahoo! Sports

WASHINGTON (AP) -- As Davey Johnson walked into the interview room to talk about Washington's return to postseason baseball for the first time since 1933, fans gathered in an adjoining restaurant began to applaud.

''What's the big deal?'' Johnson joked.

The Nationals used Ross Detwiler's six strong innings and Ryan Zimmerman's RBI double to lock up a playoff spot Thursday night with a 4-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers.

''Nats Clinch'' flashed on the scoreboard as Washington ensured at least an NL wild-card spot, delighting the crowd of 30,359.

''That was fun, but it's not what I had my eye on,'' Johnson said. ''I don't want this.''

The fans stood and cheered in the ninth inning, then got even louder when Drew Storen struck out Hanley Ramirez to end it. Johnson saluted the crowd as he left the field and the team wore caps and T-shirts acknowledging the playoff berth.

''I noticed like in the fifth or sixth, some signs, some different things that kind of keyed me into that this wasn't going to be an ordinary evening,'' Jayson Werth said.

''That was not an ordinary win.''

If they win their division, they'll get the Wild Card winner in the first round. That will be a tough match-up for any team.

Comment

Clinch the division, then go into a full on tank job. Nobody should want the #1 seed in their league this season.

Comment

#1 seed doesn't mean much anyways. Teams with momentum.....Like the Cardinals last year. If the Cardinals win the Wild Card play-in, I think that makes them the favorite to win the World Series.

Comment

The question is, are they going to bring "him" back?
          http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Originally posted by tndcollectables View Post
            The question is, are they going to bring "him" back?
            The way I understood it was, NO. The Nationals claim Strasburg is finished for the season, playoffs included.

Comment

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
              #1 seed doesn't mean much anyways. Teams with momentum.....Like the Cardinals last year. If the Cardinals win the Wild Card play-in, I think that makes them the favorite to win the World Series.
              I'd much rather not be punished for playing well, besides, the 2011 Cardinals are the exception to the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
                The way I understood it was, NO. The Nationals claim Strasburg is finished for the season, playoffs included.
                Thats the way I understood it also, but it is the playoffs and he will have been rested. So it could be probable.
                http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

I am just happy the Nationals have had a great season and made the playoffs. It is great to see them, the O's, and the A's bringing life to their cities and fan baseb.
                  Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
                  Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
                  Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

I'm glad to see the Reds also clinched a playoff berth. Reds would have also won the NL Central tonight but lost to LAD so we will wait & see.
                    sigpic
                    I trade by BV
                    PC: Longoria, Tulowitzki, Kemp, Pujols, Griffey Jr, Randy Johnson, Chipper Jones, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Giancarlo (Mike) Stanton, Votto, Derek Jeter
                    Trade & Sell list: http://southernsportscards.webs.com/
                    Bucket: https://www.flickr.com/photos/southe...tscards/albums

Comment

Working...
                    X