Delmon Young Helps Save the Tigers in a 6-4 Extra Innings Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delmon Young Helps Save the Tigers in a 6-4 Extra Innings Win

The Detroit Tigers beat the New York Yankees tonight 6-4 in 12 innings to take a 1-0 lead in the ALCS.

After 5 innings it was 0-0 game, but the Tigers scored in the 6th inning after a triple by Austin Jackson; Miguel Cabrera would be intentionally walked, then Prince Fielder hit a single to drive in Jackson. Delmon Young was up next and hit a bloop single to drive in Cabrera and the Tigers took a 2-0 lead.

Doug Fister looked like he may have a short outing, but settled into the game and did his job. He pitched 6 and 1/3 shutout innings, giving up 6 hits, walking 4 and striking out 5 batters.

Phil Coke came in for relief (and shockingly) got the last two outs of the 7th inning.

Delmon Young added to the Tigers lead in the 8th inning with a solo home run; it's his 1st of the postseason. Rich Thompson reported that Delmon Young is now the Tigers franchise leader in postseason Home Runs with 6. Jhonny Peralta was up next and hit a double, advanced to 3rd base on a ground ball from Andy Dirks, then scored on an Avisail Garcia single which gave the Tigers a 4-0 lead.

Phil Coke came back out and got the first out of the 8th inning, then Joaquin Benoit came in and got the final two outs of the inning.

Jose Valverde came in and gave up the lead while only getting 2 outs in the 9th inning before finally being pulled. Hey Leyland, thanks for costing this team the series. Hey Jose, please go home and never pitch for the Detroit Tigers again.

Octavio Dotel got the final out of the 9th inning and the game went into extra innings. Dotel came back out and pitched a scoreless 10th inning.

Drew Smyly came in and pitched a scoreless 11th inning; he won the game.

Miguel Cabrera led off the 12th inning with a walk, advanced to 2nd base on a ground out by Prince Fielder, then scored on a double from Delmon Young. After Jhonny Peralta reached base on an infield single, Don Kelly scored (pinch running for Young) on an infield single from Andy Dirks and the Tigers took a 6-4 lead.

Drew Smyly came back out and pitched a 1-2-3 12th inning to secure a Tigers win, and helped bail out Jose Valverde.

Anibal Sanchez (0-1 2.84 ERA) pitches game 2 for the Tigers tommorrow against Hiroki Kuroda (0-0 2.16 ERA) of the Yankees.

Picture credit: zimbio.com
    Follow us on Twitter: @FearTheShadow

More...

Comment

Wow! I gave up in the 8th inning and went to bed. Didnt think the Tigers would give up that lead.

Comment

The Tigers were lucky to come out with the win, after giving up their four run lead in the ninth. Glad to hear they bounced back.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
        Baseball HOFers Autos I need
        Orioles Autos I need
        Baseball HOFers GU I need
        Orioles GU I need
        Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
        However other offers will be considered

Comment

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
          Wow! I gave up in the 8th inning and went to bed. Didnt think the Tigers would give up that lead.
          Every Tigers fan in the world knew after the Ichiro homer that the Yankees would tie the game.

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
            Every Tigers fan in the world knew after the Ichiro homer that the Yankees would tie the game.
            I must have turned it off during the 7th, it was 2-0.

Comment

Originally posted by jwgreen68 View Post
              I must have turned it off during the 7th, it was 2-0.
              The two extra runs (obivously) turned out to be huge.

Comment

Great Great Game. High Drama is what October baseball is all about.! Great win by the Tigers

Wish I could of have seen you in the ninth and was there crazy dancing involved

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

Originally posted by wheeler281 View Post
                  Great Great Game. High Drama is what October baseball is all about.! Great win by the Tigers

Wish I could of have seen you in the ninth and was there crazy dancing involved
                  No dancing (he hasn't really had the chance to do that this season anyhow since he's sucked), and I was going nuts. I knew Ibanez was gonna go deep, luckily, Dotel and Smyly did their job and the offense came through (with the assist of some bad defense by Swisher).

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
                    No dancing (he hasn't really had the chance to do that this season anyhow since he's sucked), and I was going nuts. I knew Ibanez was gonna go deep, luckily, Dotel and Smyly did their job and the offense came through (with the assist of some bad defense by Swisher).
                    Swisher Looked like he had 2 lefts hands there. What a dope.

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

Working...
                    X