Greatest MLB Closer of All Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest MLB Closer of All Time?

I noticed that today is Mariano Rivera's birthday and that got me thinking about three things:

1 - Who is the greatest MLB closer of all time?
    2 - Will M. Rivera make a return to the bigs?
    3 - Is there anything else he can do to drive more demand for his cards?
    Scott Keefauver
    Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey Cards
    www.waxboxcards.com

That is very hard to say because the save has changed so much. The old days a closer would work 2 or 3 innings for a save. Now its 1 inning or less for one.

1. old days Goose Gossage or Rollie Fingers, new days Mariano
    2. yes
    3. no
    http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

1. The best I ever remember seeing is Rivera.
      2. I think he might come back. I do however fear he might not be nearly as effective after the injury though.
      3. Make the Hall of Fame. Other than that it seems he has done all he can as a player.

With all of this said, I am a Red Sox fan. Just realistic.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
      Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
      Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
      MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
      NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
      NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
      NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
      I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

He's a future Hall of Fame player and I think he will play this season. That should help the prices of his cards.
        Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Even by making the hall of fame, his cards will have value similar to Barry Larkin, Roberto Alomar, and Bert Blyleven.
          Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
          Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
          Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Personally, I don't think there is really a GREATEST CLOSER of ALL TIME. The reason I'm saying that is because the CLOSER, in the history of baseball, is fairly new. For "modern" times", the last 25 years or so (maybe 35 to 40), I'd go with Rivera (even though I don't like the Yankees). However, for "ALL TIME", I'd say no one. In the past, most of it, pitchers pitched much longer games, and threw many many more pitches and relief pitchers weren't used nearly as much. Also, in the past they were called RELIEF PITCHERS, none were referred to as CLOSER. Look at the HOF, no RELIEF pitcher made the HOF for a long long long time. And when the first RELIEF pitcher finally made the HALL he wasn't referred to as THE CLOSER.

Have a good day.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
            Baseball HOFers Autos I need
            Orioles Autos I need
            Baseball HOFers GU I need
            Orioles GU I need
            Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
            However other offers will be considered

Comment

Agreed on the Time Technicality

Certainly agree on the time assessment since the "Save" wasn't made official until 1969 - I believe.

Maybe the bigger question is - Is the closer role overrated? Has the closer really improved a team's winning pct. compared to earlier times when teams didn't go to a "closer"?

Originally posted by OriolesFan View Post
              Personally, I don't think there is really a GREATEST CLOSER of ALL TIME. The reason I'm saying that is because the CLOSER, in the history of baseball, is fairly new. For "modern" times", the last 25 years or so (maybe 35 to 40), I'd go with Rivera (even though I don't like the Yankees). However, for "ALL TIME", I'd say no one. In the past, most of it, pitchers pitched much longer games, and threw many many more pitches and relief pitchers weren't used nearly as much. Also, in the past they were called RELIEF PITCHERS, none were referred to as CLOSER. Look at the HOF, no RELIEF pitcher made the HOF for a long long long time. And when the first RELIEF pitcher finally made the HALL he wasn't referred to as THE CLOSER.

Have a good day.
              Scott Keefauver
              Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey Cards
              www.waxboxcards.com

Comment

THIS GUY:

but seriously, it's Rivera and it's not even close.

Comment

Bob Wickman

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
                  Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
                  Johnson/Mears/
                  Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

This was a topic on Best 9 last night. Actually, it was the top seasons by a closer.

1st Eck 1990
                    2nd Gagne 2003
                    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
                    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
                    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

IMO Rivera is tops. But to me it is very close. I think Dennis Eckersley makes a strong case.

Eck had 361 starts in his career. Thats close to 10 years of service dedicated to starting games. He still ended up with 390 saves. It would have been fun to see how the numbers would have compared if Eck was to have spent his entire career focussing on saves. Or Rivera would have compared if he had spent his first 10 years as a starter.

Interesting point,
                      Rivera save percentage is around .893
                      Hoffman is .888
                      Valverde is .888
                      Papelbon is .886

but

Nathan is .895 and
                      Gagne is .917

Does the number of saves or best percentage make the best closer? Other closers had higher save percentages with inferior teams. Food for thought. Dave
                      I collect a little bit of everything. But, if I never get back to you, your probably on Ignore!!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/prosefan1/

Jim Thome Have List: http://dave44671.tripod.com/

Save the Ta-Tas

Comment

Working...
                      X