Want to know what is awesome...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to know what is awesome...

When your 5 1/2 year old son and your 3 1/2 daughter both want to 'go to the basement' to look through cards. I don't want them to want to do it all the time, but it is pretty cool to share the hobby with them. And to see them interested is really really cool.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
    Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
    Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
    MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
    NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
    NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
    NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
    I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

That is awesome I get all excited when my 2 1/2 just says baseball or football .Hope he will enjoy the sports and collecting as much as I do.
    http://photobucket.com/trades_bucket
    Collecting Panthers and Lots more

Comment

I really began to love it when my sons wanted to get autographs. I took my son to spring training and they were happy as can be to get the minor leagers. They just wanted to get any and all the autographs they could on balls and hats. That restored my interest.

The other thing my kids love to do is have a draft. I would go through some 80's cards (or any year for that matter I just had tons of 80's). I would put out like 5 cards of a player and we would draft our favorites. They are always asking me..."When can we do a draft again?" My daughter like it too - however she picked by a different criteria than the boys....
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Sometimes we will buy a jumbo pack at Wal-mart (of like 36 cards) and then we take turns drafting the cards and we each end up with 12. It also saves by only spending $5 instead of $15 (my wife likes that....)
        Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
        Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
        Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

i love collecting...always have..im 35 and i remember buying the first edition tuff stuff jr...with ken griffey jr on the cover...i still have it...never bent the spine...i want to share this with my kids...my oldest is 11 and he could care less..its not a video game...i have hope....my 5 and 2 yr olds...they keep asking me about cards and collecting...i want to share with them....i hope to one day pass my collection to them!!
          BreesFan1977's Library | Photobucket

Comment

My 7 and 5 year old both have an interest in cards and I made card albums for them starting 3 years ago. They look forward to mail days and opening packs and both have their own teams that they enjoy. Its great to have the hobby to share with them and I am so glad they both do things other than sit and play video games all day.

Comment

Great thread! I started a collection for Lincoln before he was born and he has about 100 autos on cards, mini-helmets and pictures. I have about 1000 other cards in his collection. I've tried to get duplicates of everything that I've come across, since just before he was born. He won't turn 2 until July. He gets excited when new mail comes in and we look at the new cards at dinner. I even leave a pile of junk cards laying around for him to pick up and show. It's pretty funny.
              Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

My oldest turns 6 tomorrow and my youngest is 3 1/2, both boys. I can't buy cards any more without at least getting them a pack or two. I took them to a card show about a month ago and my 5 year old didn't want to leave without a relic card. I picked him up a Giambi/Mattingly game-used card and he was going on and on about it the rest of the day. He doesn't really care about the game yet or know any of the players, but it's pretty fun to watch him get excited when I tell him he got a good player or card.
                *** Trade Bucket ***

*** Trade List ***

Comment

Yes it is cool. This really cool thing is when your daughter is 5 and interested, then a few years later gets away from it all together. Then 21 yrs later talks with you about it and she still had followed it and remembers what you taught her! That is cool also!
                  http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

I started off a little nervous about my boys collecting when I first took them to the cardshop and all they wanted were Pokemon cards. That phase lasted 2 years and then they finally outgrew it (By the way I have several binders full of Pokemon cards if interested.) Every year at Christmas and on thier birthdays I buy them a box of cards to rip open and have done that now for 15 years. Now they are old enough and work and they return the favor. (They are 18 and 23) and they actually buy thier own cards. In fact it seems they always have more money then Dad!

Comment

My 11 year old son has an on again/off again relationship with cards. Most of the time he isn't interested at all unless we're breaking a box. I was hoping to pique his interest by starting a separate Pujols PC for him with my doubles, but he's only concerned with why he doesn't have the Rookie Autos like I do! I may have to adopt a son to carry on my legacy of owning every piece of Pujols memorabilia in existence. Ive yet to find the box to check for that on the adoption papers.

Comment

And YES that is AWESOME Woody! I envy you!

Comment

Working...
                        X