Tigers lose 4-3 in the 13th Inning on a Walk-Off Home Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigers lose 4-3 in the 13th Inning on a Walk-Off Home Run

The Detroit Tigers lost to the Los Angeles Angels today 4-3 in 13 innings.

The Tigers offense has been struggling, but scored first today in the 2nd inning after Jhonny Peralta drew a walk & Omar Infante hit a single. Then, both advanced a base due to a balk with Austin Jackson at the plate who then drove in Peralta on a fielder's choice to take a 1-0 lead.

The Angels took a 3-1 lead due to some poor defense, but the Tigers tied the game in the 5th inning after Torii Hunter drew a walk, then Prince Fielder hit a 2-run home run to make it a 3-3 game; it's his 5th of the season.

Doug Fister was wild early on (3 batters hit), but settled into the game nicely going 7 innings giving up 3 runs (2 earned, soon to be 0 earned) on 6 hits, walking 2 and striking out 5 batters.

Al Alburquerque came in for relief and threw a scoreless 8th inning.

The Tigers should've had a chance to take the lead in the 9th inning, after a single by Omar Infante, Austin Jackson attempted to sacrifice bunt (which isn't smart to begin with), but Ernesto Frieri threw to 2nd base and Infante was called out on a blown call by 2nd base umpire Gary Darling, and the Tigers didn't score in the inning.

Al Alburquerque came back out and pitched a scoreless 9th inning. Joaquin Benoit came in and pitched a scoreless 10th inning. Phil Coke then came in and pitched a scoreless 11th inning.

Phil Coke came back out for the 12th and pitched a scoreless inning. Coke came back out for some reason and served up a home run to Mark Trumbo to lose the game for Detroit in the 13th inning.

The Tigers have an off day tomorrow, but open up a 3 game home series on Tuesday with the Royals as Max Scherzer (1-0 2.84 ERA) pitches against Wade Davis (2-0 2.25 ERA).

Picture credit: zimbio.com
    Follow us on Twitter: @FearTheShadow

More...

Dan I need an inside track on who the closer will be once they make a decision. I have smiley and coke on my fbb team. I am hurting in that dept in a deep league so who should I stick with out of those 2. Seems I guess wrong all the time.

Let me know if they eventually go with Valverde lol

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

Originally posted by wheeler281 View Post
      Dan I need an inside track on who the closer will be once they make a decision. I have smiley and coke on my fbb team. I am hurting in that dept in a deep league so who should I stick with out of those 2. Seems I guess wrong all the time.

Let me know if they eventually go with Valverde lol
      Leyland has stated that Benoit is his closer, it just so happens that Benoit has had 1 save situation since the announcement about 10 days ago. It's either a 4-6 run lead, or they're losing.

Comment

Thanks man. He was actually available so I dropped coke

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

With the Tig sucking the Twinkies are in 2nd place!
          http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Working...
          X