Storing My Cards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing My Cards...

So, over the past few years, I have been storing my cards in 1 screw holders. At least my GU and Autos. Plates and some other Commemorative and Manufactured patches as well.

I have heard from a lot of source that they store them in penny sleeves, toploader and team bag instead. There are thoughts that this protects them as well, and is actually better for them in the long haul.

Here in lies my dilemma. I am considering transitioning my collection to be stored this way. What does everyone else do? And why?

I really want to keep my cards protected as well as I can for the long haul.

Interested to see what others think.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
    Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
    Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
    MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
    NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
    NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
    NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
    I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

It seems to me that the sleeve, loader, bag method would be better long-term...I dont have any scientific facts to back that up, just seems better...... long-term. Plus, the sleeve, loader, bag method would conserve the clean look of your loader, for example, showing your collection to someone, or taking pics, removing the loader from the bag would reveal a nice, clean look, whereas the 1-screw, or snaptight holders get scratched and gain that "used" look after some time. I personally store mine in both, and have no plans to convert to one or the other........but, my friend, if you do convert, I'll always take your sloppy-second card holders....if not for me...for my son's collection.

Currently looking for:
    Football: The Gronk!
    Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
    Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
    + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
    Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
    http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

Unfortunately, I really would like to try and sell some of them off to make some of the money I am going to need to convert over to the other method. But, I am sure some of them could be sent your way my friend. I will let you know. This is going to take a while. I guess I have to find something to do now with my collection!

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
      MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
      NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
      NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
      I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Originally posted by schwood View Post
        Unfortunately, I really would like to try and sell some of them off to make some of the money I am going to need to convert over to the other method. But, I am sure some of them could be sent your way my friend. I will let you know. This is going to take a while. I guess I have to find something to do now with my collection!

I hear that....not to mention what it would cost to ship em! .

Thanks for the consideration.....and GOOD LUCK on your coversion!!
        Currently looking for:
        Football: The Gronk!
        Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
        Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
        + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
        Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
        http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

I store mine in a Department of Defense Hazmat air-free bunker that is on a 24 hour time delay locking system to deter thieves. Sure penny sleeves and cases might be cheaper but what's a few million when it comes to protecting your card collection)

Comment

That is a great idea. Just not sure I can round up enough money. The money I save on shipping online just isn't going to cut that!

Comment

I use both methods. I've heard that autographs can be compromised if the screwdown is too tight (or the card is too thick for the holder). Most of my PC stuff, I keep in screwdowns. They just look better. When I store them, I put the screwdowns into team bags so that they don't get scratched.
              --Jeff

Comment

I use a penny sleeve and a toploader. I do have a few in team bags as well, but have found those difficult to store upright in my shoe box storage box. I could buy shoe boxes that are made to hold graded cards but that would mean buying at least 30 new boxes and 15,000 team bags just for my Pujols PC alone.

And while the vault idea does seem funny.....my cards are stored in my safe room which is built into my man cave/home theater.

Comment

Sleeve and toploader for me, and if the card is nice enough, a team bag also.

Comment

I use sleeves, toploaders and team bags. I don't like the look of screw downs.
                    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

I haven't put any of the new adds in screwdowns. They are all going into pennies/toploader/team bags from now on, and I will convert the others I have eventually. Just need to put some money into buying some stuff to put the others in. And on top of it, this is going to take up a lot less space to store them. Which will be nice.

Just not sure if I can sell these off or not. They are going to be expensive to ship, but I would just do them in a flat rate box and stuff as many as I can in there and sell them off cheap. Like 25 bucks for a large flat rate box full of them. Is that a good price for used ones? It costs like 15 bucks to ship these things.

Comment

Originally posted by schwood View Post
                        I haven't put any of the new adds in screwdowns. They are all going into pennies/toploader/team bags from now on, and I will convert the others I have eventually. Just need to put some money into buying some stuff to put the others in. And on top of it, this is going to take up a lot less space to store them. Which will be nice.

Just not sure if I can sell these off or not. They are going to be expensive to ship, but I would just do them in a flat rate box and stuff as many as I can in there and sell them off cheap. Like 25 bucks for a large flat rate box full of them. Is that a good price for used ones? It costs like 15 bucks to ship these things.
                        Sounds like a fair price to me.

Comment

Some are using magnetic holders. I dont think I like that option; cost would be high plus I like being able to use a penny sleeve for a little extra protection.

Comment

Working...
                          X