Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants Trade Eduardo Nunez To Red Sox

Red Sox get Giants 3B Eduardo Nunez for 2 pitching prospects

SAN FRANCISCO -- Infielder Eduardo Nunez was traded from the San Francisco Giants to the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday night for minor league right-handers Shaun Anderson and Gregory Santos.

The deal was finalized during San Francisco's 11-3 win over Pittsburgh and announced after the game.

"It's exciting," Nunez said while standing outside of manager Bruce Bochy's office. "You're going to go [play] for a championship. That's why we're here. That's the focus right now."

Nunez, 30, won't join the Red Sox until Friday. He started at third base for the Giants on Tuesday, hit a two-run double and scored twice before he was removed for a pinch hitter in the fifth inning. The infielder, who was hit by a pitch on the left elbow earlier in the game, was shown on television shaking hands with teammates in the Giants' clubhouse.

Nunez had been on a tear for the Giants. His .348 average is the fourth highest in the majors since June 1 (minimum 100 plate appearances). He went 9-for-16 (.563) in his final four games with San Francisco.

In addition to third base, Nunez has played four other positions in his career -- second base, shortstop, left field and right field -- and has a negative defensive runs saved at all five spots.

"He's very talented, and that's why a lot of clubs wanted him," Bochy said. "He can run, he's a good hitter, he can play anywhere. I'm going to miss him because this guy was exciting. He's got a chance to get to the postseason, so I'm happy for him. He'll help that ballclub."

Nunez did not rule out the possibility of re-signing with San Francisco in the offseason when he's scheduled to become a free agent. For now, Nunez said he's intent on helping the Red Sox maintain their lead in the AL East.

"I never listened really the last two weeks where I was going," Nunez said. "I just focused on playing. I don't read that much Twitter and those things. I am focused on who's pitching tonight, who's pitching the next day."

He should be a good pick up for the BoSox. He can play a lot of positions.
    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Working...
    X