Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillies Trade Jeremy Hellickson To Orioles

Phillies trade Jeremy Hellickson to Orioles

The Philadelphia Phillies had a busy night Friday.

Starting pitcher Jeremy Hellickson is headed to the Orioles, and the Phillies will receive outfielder Hyun Soo Kim and left-handed pitcher Garrett Cleavinger from Baltimore.

In the trade announced after Baltimore's 8-2 loss in Texas on Friday night, Philadelphia will get an international amateur signing bonus pool allocation, and the Phillies will send cash to the Orioles to cover part of the $6.1 million remaining of Hellickson's $17.2 million salary.

Because of inclement weather and trade speculation, Hellickson was scratched earlier Friday night from his scheduled start at home against Atlanta. Hellickson was pulled about an hour before the game.

Hellickson is 6-5 with a 4.73 ERA in 20 starts for the Phillies this season. He was 18-15 in 52 starts over two seasons in Philadelphia.

"Jeremy Hellickson is a solid, dependable veteran major league starter who knows how to win in the American League,'' Orioles' executive vice president for baseball operations Dan Duquette said.

Kim, a native of South Korea, hit .232 with one homer and 10 RBIs in 56 games for the Orioles. The 29-year-old outfielder hit .302 last year in his major league debut after signing with Baltimore.

Cleavinger has 42 strikeouts over 38 2/3 innings in 27 appearances for Double-A Bowie. The Orioles selected him in the third round of the 2015 amateur draft.

OK - this trade is kind of weird....Baltimore is in last place and picks up a pitcher. Maybe they are just trying to get through the end of the season!
    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

They may be currently the "strongest" team in the A L East, because they are holding the rest up. However, as Yogi Berra said "It ain't over 'til it's over". So, they haven't yet been eliminated and they still have a possibility to make the 2017 playoffs. At least they traded for what they need, pitching. Hopefully this deal will work well for them. At least they appear to be going in the right direction. Time will tell.

The main items Im looking to trade for are
      Baseball HOFers Autos I need
      Orioles Autos I need
      Baseball HOFers GU I need
      Orioles GU I need
      Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
      However other offers will be considered

Comment

Working...
      X