Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie seeks advice---

Hello all....

The last time I purchased baseball cards was...1992.

Yes, during the boom. LOL

I didn't stick with it...but I'd like to get back into it.

Prior to this message...I did some research, and picked up the latest Beckett guide...and I'm more confused than ever. There's just so much product out there.

Example---I last purchased some Upper Deck cards, so I figured I'd just buy 2014 UD Baseball....but, I read up on THAT fiasco...soooo

My confusion, which leads to a "why bother" attitude is all the sets, subsets, chase-this, reflector chrome-that....

Is there just a PLAIN set of baseball cards out there? Like...500 cards and that's it?

I'm a bit of a "completeist"...but I don't care to spend 100's and 100's of dollars to buy parallel stuff and chase cards...blah blah blah.

I just want a nice set...not a lot of frills...and definitely NO confusion or aggravation!

I thought that the Topps throwback set looked nice. That whole '65 vibe...but even that has a whole bunch of "chase" stuff.

Am I missing something?
    Am I too late...and this is what the hobby is now?

Any advice on what to buy would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks all....

Tony

1 set that comes to mind is the 2014 Topps archives. This set comes with your standard current major league stars as well as old school players. I believe the only relics you can pull are 1 per case and each hobby box comes with 2 autos. There are #rd parallels included of each card (inserted at random) but off the top of my head the Archives is one of very few "basic" sets out there these days, as far as including subsets. I'm sure more people can expand on what I've said but that's my $0.02.
    your best bet is to just go on eBay and find different cards that catch your eye and pursue those, or find a player you like and pursue him, it all depends on preference.
    Most of all....have FUN!!
    Currently looking for:
    Football: The Gronk!
    Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
    Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
    + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
    Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
    http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

Working...
    X