Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will The Lakers Land Dwight Howard Next Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will The Lakers Land Dwight Howard Next Season?

Dwight Howard’s current contract expires after the 2012-2013 season but he has a player option which allows him to leave a year earlier.

After a first round loss to the Atlanta Hawks this season, why would Dwight want to stay in Orlando any longer? They seem to be going backwards the past 3 seasons.

From the NBA Finals to a first round exit. He wants to win championships and he can't do that with the players around him right now. They aren't built to win in the playoffs.

They traded away Hedu Turkoglu, Rashard Lewis, Mickael Pietrus, Marcin Gortat, Courtney Lee, and Rafer Alston. That was their core when they made a run for the championship against the Lakers in 2009.

Sure they got Hedu back but he's not the same. They have no one to back-up Dwight anymore. Ryan Anderson & Brandon Bass aren't getting the job done. They have a bunch of role players that are decent but they won't be able to get back to the Finals unless they add a superstar.

Possible Scenarios

1) Dwight signs extension to stay in Orlando.
    I can only see this happen if the Magic get another superstar to join Dwight. The Magic have to convince Dwight that they will do whatever it takes to win a championship in Orlando.
    2) Dwight becomes a free agent next off-season and teams up with either Chris Paul or Deron Williams.
    If he keeps quiet the entire 2011-2012 season, then Dwight can decline his player option and become a free agent. Point guards, Chris Paul and Deron Williams, also have player options with their teams after the 2011-12 season. All three players will most likely decline in order to explore a possibility of teaming up. This would give Dwight an option to play with at least one of the best point guards in the league.
    3) Dwight expresses his desire to be traded. He won't re-sign with the Magic, but allows them to trade him.
    I hope this happens. Why? Because the Los Angeles Lakers would be in the mix. He wants to win a championship and the Lakers have been playing in the championship for the past 3 seasons.
    Andrew Bynum would have to be a part of the deal that brings Dwight to Los Angeles.
    It's the Orlando Magic's best option of replacing Dwight.
    I can see it now:
    Los Angeles Lakers trade Andrew Bynum, Shannon Brown (If he accepts his player option), Devin Ebanks and future draft picks to the Orlando Magic for Dwight Howard.
    The Magic can't let Dwight leave Orlando without getting anything in return. I've read that the Magic can possibly ask for Lamar Odom to be included in the deal.

Dwight Howard would be following the footsteps of Shaquille O'Neal.
    Déjà Vu

Orlando Magic 1994-95
    Lost to the Houston Rockets in the NBA Finals

Orlando Magic 1995-96
    Lost to the Chicago Bulls in the Eastern Conference Finals

Shaquille became a free agent after the season ended and signed with the Los Angeles Lakers. It took a couple seasons for O'Neal to win his first championship.

Orlando Magic 2008-09
    Lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals

Orlando Magic 2009-10
    Lost to the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals

Orlando Magic 2010-11
    Lost to the Atlanta Hawks in the 1st round

More...
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

I agree. If Dwight is traded, there is only one other center in the NBA that is as young and has the most potential to be great one day and that is Bynum. I would think Lakers would make them also take Luke Walton and get back either Ryan Anderson or Chris Duhon in return.

Comment

Not going to happen.. lol Bynum has never been an allstar, how is he the centerpeice?
      You not going to trade a proven SUPERSTAR for a bunch of potential, draft picks and mediocre players.. (You can bring up the KG deal all you want, but you all know that was Kevin McHale hooking up Boston and KG/ And Pau Gasol deal which was Jerry West hooking up LA... These guys aren't dumb, they know they won't win in their markets..)

Nice to Dream though.

Comment

The only way Dwight ends up as a Laker is if he tells Orlando he is going to opt out of his contract and he wants to go elsewhere. If its between Orlando losing Dwight and getting nothing in return or trading him for Andrew Bynum and his potential/injury risk, they would do it so they wont face the whole Shaq leaving Orlando scenario.

Comment

Another scenario is that Otis Smith pulls something out of nowhere and lands CP3 (or someone similar) without losing too much.

I can dream :P

Comment

There's no way Dwight ISN'T in a Lakers uniform by the All-Star break next year. He's not gonna resign with Orlando once his contract is up, and Orlando will have no choice but to move him so they at least get something back. A Bynum/Brown/picks deal is the best possible trade Orlando will get.

100% chance Howard is in a Lakers uniform at some point next season.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
            Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
            Johnson/Mears/
            Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Support View Post
              Not going to happen.. lol Bynum has never been an allstar, how is he the centerpeice?
              You not going to trade a proven SUPERSTAR for a bunch of potential, draft picks and mediocre players.. (You can bring up the KG deal all you want, but you all know that was Kevin McHale hooking up Boston and KG/ And Pau Gasol deal which was Jerry West hooking up LA... These guys aren't dumb, they know they won't win in their markets..)

Nice to Dream though.
              The Nuggets/Knicks disagree with that...

Which is the same reason Dwight will go to LA..especially if thats the only team he wants to go to, and refuses to sign anywhere else.

Comment

Knicks only got Melo because he forced it on the Nuggets. He said he only wanted to play with the Knicks.. You know that..

If I'm not mistaken, Dwight Howard never said he only wants to play for the Lakers.

Dwight Howard does not get traded in season. Mark my words... Thats crazy talk. Orlando will be a top 2-3 in the EC, and then they trade their best player? lol What do they want people to only attend the first half of the season games?

Not going to happen.

If Dwight Howard gets traded, it will be in an offseason sign and trade of a place that Dwight Howard wants to go to play and have the $$$ to sign him to a max deal... And as long as Kobe and Gasol is there, they have no Money for Dwight Howard.

Lakers will have a tough time getting him. Not going to happen in season while Orlando is fighting for a top seed 2-3 seed in the East.. No way, no How...

I see Orlando bringing in all new peices again also..

Comment

I would like him to leave the East, being a Celtics fan but not way can he become a Lakers, no way, no how. Maybe a Celtics!
                  I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Support View Post
                    Knicks only got Melo because he forced it on the Nuggets. He said he only wanted to play with the Knicks.. You know that..

If I'm not mistaken, Dwight Howard never said he only wants to play for the Lakers.

Dwight Howard does not get traded in season. Mark my words... Thats crazy talk. Orlando will be a top 2-3 in the EC, and then they trade their best player? lol What do they want people to only attend the first half of the season games?

Not going to happen.

If Dwight Howard gets traded, it will be in an offseason sign and trade of a place that Dwight Howard wants to go to play and have the $$$ to sign him to a max deal... And as long as Kobe and Gasol is there, they have no Money for Dwight Howard.

Lakers will have a tough time getting him. Not going to happen in season while Orlando is fighting for a top seed 2-3 seed in the East.. No way, no How...

I see Orlando bringing in all new peices again also..
                    Of course..but I see Orlando as the 4-5 seed again next year, Bulls & Heat will get better, Boston still will be 3rd best in the regular season I think..Hawks/Magic will be the 4-5 again most likely..the problem with the Magic is they dont have much cap room to play with..nobody will want to take on Hedo's or Arenas's contracts..those two will hurt them big time.

Comment

Working...
                    X