Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Chris Paul Offer Was Better - Lakers or Clippers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Chris Paul Offer Was Better - Lakers or Clippers?

I'm still a little mad about David Stern vetoing the trade that would have sent Chris Paul to the Lakers last weekend. After taking a closer look at the deal, I understand why it wasn't good for the Hornets. They needed to have a younger core that would be more appealing to a new owner.

The vetoed trade did cost the Lakers their 6th man of the year. I guess Lamar Odom forgot this was a business and that the Lakers can package him in a deal to land a superstar. He nearly left the Lakers in 2009 when he almost signed with the Miami Heat. So instead of trading Odom for Chris Paul, the Lakers get a trade exemption. Pau Gasol was professional about the whole situation and is probably going to be with the Lakers this Christmas.

The Hornets need to rebuild because they aren't going to be competitive with the top teams in the NBA. Losing your best player is going to hurt a franchise and it's tough trying to trade for equal value that would help the team right away. I witnessed it with the Lakers when they traded Shaq to the Miami Heat. The Lakers were able to trade for a couple of young players but it set them back a couple seasons. This is why the Hornets couldn't go through with the Lakers offer. They were getting veteran players that would help maintain their middle of the Western Conference status, but in the end would just put the new owner in some financial trouble.

The Hornets were losing David West to a new team and they would have to give up their center, Emeka Okafor, in order for the Lakers deal to work. Luis Scola would of been their center to start the year. Scola's contract is horrendous. Lamar Odom is a great player, but he's getting up there in age and he hasn't been asked to be the star of the team since he was on the Heat.

Chris Paul to the Lakers
    Now here's the deal that David Stern vetoed for the Hornets:

Lamar Odom (age 32): $8.2 million this year; team option for $8.9 million next year
    Kevin Martin (age 28): $12 million this year; $12.9 million next year
    Luis Scola (age 31): $8.5 million this year; $9.4 million next year; $10.2 million in the year after; $11 million in 2014-2015
    Goran Dragic (age 25): $2.1 million this year, expiring contract

New York 1st round pick: Top 5 team in the East, in the 20s.

Chris Paul to the Clippers
    Here's the deal that David Stern allowed for the Hornets:

Eric Gordon (age 22): $3.8 million this year; $5.1 million qualifying option next year
    Al-Farouq Aminu (age 21): $5.7 million over the next two years, then a team option the year after
    Chris Kaman (age 29): $12 million this year, expiring contract
    Minnesota 1st round pick: Most likely a lottery pick, top 10

The Clippers deal is perfect for a team that wants to start rebuilding. They get two players under the age of 22 and an expiring contract worth over $12 million that will be a nice chunk of money they can take off the books next off-season. They are also receiving the Minnesota 1st round pick that will most likely be in the top 10, unless Ricky Rubio is the answer for that young team.

Eric Gordon is a nice pick-up for the Hornets and i'm sure every Clipper fan is disappointed they couldn't keep Gordon instead of Eric Bledsoe. The Hornets were able to keep Emeka Okafor as their center.

If you were a potential buyer for the New Orlean Hornets, which team would you have wanted?

Become a fan of Los Angeles Inspiration on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter @LA_Inspiration

More...
    Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
    Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
    Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
    Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

I still think the Lakers/Rockets offer was better because the Hornets were getting 3 solid players in Scola, Martin, and Odom along with Dragic and the Draft Pick. They could have turned around and traded each of them to get more picks/young players.

Im sure Eric Gordon will leave the first chance he gets. Plus there is no guarantee that the Hornets will even draft the right person next year with the pick.

Comment

I think this was way better for the Hornets and they still have a viable product they can sell with an up and coming superstar in Gordon

Clippers making a run at the lakeshow

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

the lakers deal would have helped 3 teams instead of 2. but this deal is better for the hornets.
        http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Clippers by a mile

Comment

Working...
          X