Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which NBA Players From The 90s Do You Miss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which NBA Players From The 90s Do You Miss?

Which NBA players from the 1990s do you miss?

For my choices, I am not going to go with the obvious players like Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, etc.

Instead my choices are going to be some of my other favorite players I use to collect when I was a kid. When I first started collecting basketball cards in 1991, these were 3 players (besides Shaq and MJ that I collected the most.

It sucks that all these former All-Stars got hurt and/or traded, and then their careers were never the same.

Larry Johnson (Hornets) - One of the first basketball Rookie Cards I got in my collection. I remember it was the 91-92 Hoops RC. Grandmama was one of my favorite players. When he teamed with Alonzo Mourning, the Hornets were my second favorite team behind the Lakers. Sadly he got hurt then traded to the Knicks where his career went downhill.

Shawn Kemp (Sonics) - The Reign Man was destined to be a future Hall of Famer. His career peaked when he and Payton led the Sonics to the NBA Finals. At one time, I had over 200 different Shawn Kemp cards (this is when I was 10 years old and that back then was a lot). Stupidly the Sonics underpaid Kemp and way overpaid Jim McIlvaine with a 5 year $35 million contact. NBA fans can probably blame Jim McIlvaine because I think he was the first untalented and useless center that got paid a lot of money just because of his height. LOL! Kemp then gained a lot of weight and was never the same player again.

Anfernee Hardaway (Magic) - Penny Hardaway was one of the best guards in the mid 90s. He was a 4 time All Star and made the All NBA First Team twice. Once Shaq left Orlando for the Lakers, Penny soon suffered a knee surgery will took away all his explosiveness. He was then traded to the Suns where his career went downhill.

Tose are 3 good ones. Hardaway was one of my fav .I was a Hornets fan then muggsy bogues .Allso played alot of NBA jams had more time to watch basketball back then 2 .I do miss the NBA of the 90s. O yeah Dennis Rodman was allways fun to watch to see what color his hair was .
    http://photobucket.com/trades_bucket
    Collecting Panthers and Lots more

Comment

I was a big Dominique Wilkins fan. Big fan of Avery Johnson as a player. David Robinson and Sean Elliott were also among my favorites.
      Arizona Cardinals Autos
      Alabama Crimson Tide Autos
      Wrestling Autos
      Wrestling Relics

Comment

nice thread =)

Here are mine not commented in this thread.

order by draft year

Rod Strickland
        one of NYC legend but had never played with contender team.
        (Yes, he played @ NYK, Spurs and Blazers but those teams were not good when he arrived.)

Derrick Coleman (have never been fan tho.)

He had great talent. But he collapsed too fast to go to great (or the greatest) level.

Kenny Anderson

This NYC Legend is the only 2 guy (The other is KAJ) achived crazy record in H.S.

He had nice ball handling and point of view.

For reference, Kenny Anderson and Derrick Coleman was considered as Young Stockton-Malone combi.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Have you known this guy was great ?

He was ROY candidated behind Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant.

Like Rod Strickland, He have never played with contender kinds team.

I have been a huge The Big Ticket Fan since 1995 (KG's Rookie Season !!)

The # 1 Robert Horry Collector on The Planet !!

Looking for Alonzo Mourning, Robert Horry cards !!

Comment

I was big on Charles Barkley and David Robinson. I met Barkley a few years ago, on a flight. He's just like on tv. Cool cat! I enjoyed watching Robert Horry, as well. I had tons of his cards, but didn't seek them out to collect him specifically. He was such a clutch shooter and seemed like a decent guy, so it was easy to root for him.
          Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Excellent Post! Those guys were beasts! I also miss pre-injury Penny & Grant Hill. Pre-drugs/fat Shawn Kemp was also awesome.

Originally posted by nbacardDOTnet View Post
            nice thread =)

Here are mine not commented in this thread.

order by draft year

Rod Strickland
            one of NYC legend but had never played with contender team.
            (Yes, he played @ NYK, Spurs and Blazers but those teams were not good when he arrived.)

Derrick Coleman (have never been fan tho.)

He had great talent. But he collapsed too fast to go to great (or the greatest) level.

Kenny Anderson

This NYC Legend is the only 2 guy (The other is KAJ) achived crazy record in H.S.

He had nice ball handling and point of view.

For reference, Kenny Anderson and Derrick Coleman was considered as Young Stockton-Malone combi.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Have you known this guy was great ?

He was ROY candidated behind Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant.

Like Rod Strickland, He have never played with contender kinds team.

Collecting Chicago Bulls, HOF/90's Stars Autographs, 07-08 Stadium Club Super Team #/50
            Click here for Bucket

Comment

Joe Dumars. He was a far better player than he is a GM

Comment

Penny Hardaway for sure. He was my favorite player growing up. I miss Lil' Penny too.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
                Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
                Johnson/Mears/
                Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Shareef Abdur-Rahim was also one of the players I collected in the 90s. From the draft class of 1996, I mainly only collected Kobe, Ray Allen, and Shareef at that time. He put up solid numbers on 2 bad teams and was always a professional. I dont think he ever made an All-Star team, but its too bad injuries ended his career early.

Comment

John Stockton. Simple and effective.

Comment

I would have to go with:

Charles Barkley
                      John Stockton
                      Clyde "The Glide" Drexler
                      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
                      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
                      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Like other member's comment, Penny Hardaway would be one of the best.
                        (His impact was one of the greatest. =))

anyway more players by no order..(not include commented players in this thread.)

Vernon Maxwell

When Rockets got 1st Champ, his contribution was very sweet.

After 1994-95 season, he went to Sixers (?). After that, his career was just so-so.
                        (At least not like Michael Jordan stopper.)

The real Michael Jordan Stopper was not Gerald Wilkins but Vernon Maxwell.

John Starks

If you were a knicks fan, you might have mixed feeling.

If Starks made a bit better 3PT (Yah, the worst NBA final 3PT record 2/18 ? until Ray Allen's in 2010 NBA Final) , we don't know Rockets champ.

Actually, John Starks was a succesor like Anthony Mason.

Both of them were from CBA (not Chinese Basketball League. In 1990's, CBA means now a days D-League kinds sub NBA league.)

But Funnily (?), he was not always one of Knicks. went to Warriors, Bulls etc.

Braud Duagherty, Mark Price, Larry Nance John "Hot Rod" Williams (and Craig Ehlo) 's Cavaliers

Cavs was one of great defensive team in 1990's.
                        (But they were not lucky because of Michael Jordan's era.)

Especially Brad Daughety could be one of great C Player but he was not healthy like that.

Brad Daugherty and Gerald Wilkins (In 1995 # 45 MJ's Bulls game)

Craid Ehlo

Laphonso Ellis, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (aka Chris Jackson) and Robert Pack (Rodney Rogers etc.) in Nuggets

In 1994, Nuggets made one of the greatest upset Strong Seattle SuperSonics.

There were all of them. After they were not Nuggets, they were not good anymore.

Ellis

1996 Seattle SuperSonics

Michael Jordan told his best team is 1996 (72 wins) Bulls.

NBA 2K12 - Jordan Invitation - YouTube

1996 Seattle SuperSonics won Hakeem Olajuwon 's Rockets and John Stockton-Karl Malone combi 's Jazz.

1996 Bulls won ZO 's Heat, Ewing 's Knicks and Penny-SHAQ 's Magic.

But Sonics unfortunately failed.

(Sonics franchise changed to OKC thunder (and KD is really good) but OKC is not sleepless Seattle so) It was the last great Sonics era.
                        Because idiot Sonics front didn't get Shawn Kemp again but poor jim mcilvaine.

Rik Smits and two Davis (Antonio Davis, Dale Davis / Indiana Pacers)

Rik Smits wasn't one of the greatest level but he would destroy most of current C Players in this era.
                        (You can imagine a bit worse (defensive) , shorter but healthy version of Yao.)

He made buzzer beater like this in POs.

Mark Jackson - Reggie Miller - two Davis - Rick Smits Pacers was not Joke.

Bogues-ZO-LJ (Next Bulls) with Dell Curry and Kendall Gill (Hersey Hawkins)

Just rookie ZO made buzzer beater and won old Celtics (there were old Kevin McHale and Robert Parish. After that series, McHale retired and Parish came to Hornets in 1994-95 season.)

NBA fans couldn't imagine this attractive team would be disappear.

But no brianer Hornets front gave big contract to LJ so ZO didn't want to stay at Hornets anymore.

ZO's trade was one of huge trade in NBA history.

Funnily, LJ also sent to Knicks. Then Bogues sent to Warriors.

Then Hornets changed team color Mason-Rice-Divac (traded with # 13 Pick aka Kobe Bryant) with Dave Cowens (former Celtics Legend C) coach

Dave Cowens head coach and Vlade Divac

Last edited by nbacardDOTnet; 01-08-2012, 02:10 AM.
                        I have been a huge The Big Ticket Fan since 1995 (KG's Rookie Season !!)

The # 1 Robert Horry Collector on The Planet !!

Looking for Alonzo Mourning, Robert Horry cards !!

Comment

I love that history rewind. Thanks.

Comment

nice stuff love all the Gif's. I really liked that old Hornets team, I used them on NBA Jam all the time. haha.

Collecting Chicago Bulls, HOF/90's Stars Autographs, 07-08 Stadium Club Super Team #/50
                            Click here for Bucket

Comment

Otis Thorpe

Comment

Working...
                              X