Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knicks Give Mike Woodson Extension

Knicks give coach Mike Woodson multiyear extension - Yahoo! Sports

NEW YORK (AP) One playoff victory was good enough for Mike Woodson to return as New York Knicks coach - even with Phil Jackson lurking as a potential candidate.

Woodson knows more will be asked of him now.

''I know expectations are high and they should be high,'' Woodson said during a conference call, ''and I'm looking forward to the challenge.''

The Knicks removed the interim tag Friday and announced they had given Woodson a multiyear contract extension, rewarding him for a terrific finish to what had been a turbulent season.

Woodson led the Knicks to an 18-6 record after replacing Mike D'Antoni on March 14. The Knicks lost 4-1 to Miami in the first round, snapping an NBA-record, 13-game postseason losing streak by winning Game 4 for their first victory since 2001.

Still, there was speculation that Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan would open one of the league's biggest check books to go after Jackson, the 11-time champion coach and former Knicks player who sat out last season after retiring from the Los Angeles Lakers.

Yet the Knicks never looked anywhere beyond Woodson, believing they can continue to improve with a full season of his coaching.

''I think Woody earned the right to be the first person we talked to and turned out to be the only person we talked to because our discussions with him after the season really reflected why he was so successful during the season,'' general manager Glen Grunwald said.

''We thought he was the right guy for this team at this time. Obviously, there's some great coaches out there that had we opened up the search would have been called, mainly Phil Jackson, who's the most successful coach in the NBA history, but we felt Woody was our guy and he showed it during the season and our discussions after the season.''

Woodson shrugged off the Jackson speculation.

''Tremendous coach, I know his name's been mentioned a lot, but that was not my concern,'' Woodson said. ''My concern at the time was coaching the New York Knicks the period that I had to coach and Mr. Dolan decided to bring me back.''

Neither the Knicks nor Woodson would disclose the terms of the deal.

Good pick!
    I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

Smart move.

Comment

The fact that Phil Jackson's name was mentioned leads me to believe the job was quietly offered to him but he declined. Be real. If Phil Jackson is available, you go after one of greatest coaches of all time, not be content with Mike Woodson!!! I think Woodson is a good choice for the Knicks but don't try to shove all of the other bs garbage down Knicks fans throats. Don't pee on their legs and tell them it's raining!

Comment

All this move does is ensure Carmelo ball for the foreseeable future. Just like when he was in Atlanta, Woodson values one go to guy to take care of things. They better find a way to unload Amare on someone else or there definitely will be some turmoil next year.

Comment

Working...
          X