Suns Offer Eric Gordon 4 Years $58 Million, Matched By Hornets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suns Offer Eric Gordon 4 Years $58 Million, Matched By Hornets

Eric Gordon agrees to Suns' $58 million offer sheet; Hornets plan to match - Yahoo! Sports

That is a lot of money to give to a player who was injured last season. Hornets will have 3 days to match and they said they would match any offer. With Austin Rivers there, they really dont need Gordon.

The New Orleans Hornets plan to match the maximum four-year, $58 million offer sheet free-agent guard Eric Gordon received from the Phoenix Suns, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Hornets had always indicated they planned to match whatever offer Gordon received, and they don't appear willing to change that stance in spite of Gordon's public proclamation that "Phoenix is just where my heart is now."

Gordon can't officially sign the offer sheet until July 11. Because Gordon is a restricted free agent, the Hornets will have three days to match.

Gordon met with Suns officials, including owner Robert Sarver, on Monday and Tuesday before agreeing to the offer sheet, the maximum allowed under NBA rules for a player with his experience.

"After visiting the Suns, the impression the organization made on me was incredible," Gordon said in a prepared statement. "Mr. Sarver, [president] Lon Babby, [general manager] Lance Blanks, the front office staff and Coach [Alvin] Gentry run a first-class organization, and I strongly feel they are the right franchise for me. Phoenix is just where my heart is now."

Gordon, 23, averaged 20.6 points and 3.4 assists with New Orleans last season, but played in just nine games because of a knee injury. The Hornets acquired Gordon before the start of last season in the trade that sent Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Clippers.

Gordon was hoping to get his contract agreed to before he attends Team USA's Olympic training later this week in Las Vegas. If the Hornets match the Suns' offer, Gordon will join top overall pick Anthony Davis and rookie guard Austin Rivers, in forming a young, talented core for the team.

looks like The Suns are trying to do somethings albeit thats alot of money for the reasons you stated above. hopefuly he will be healthy and we can pick up a few more players and KEEP Nash!
    U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
    Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
    Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

That is a waste of money for a glorified Cuttino Mobley.

Collecting Chicago Bulls, HOF/90's Stars Autographs, 07-08 Stadium Club Super Team #/50
      Click here for Bucket

Comment

I'd expect the Hornets will match.

Comment

Hornets will match so Suns still have some work to do to build up their roster. Probably best to just sit out the rest of free agency and make a run next year with better options available.

Comment

Gives the Hornets a nice nucleus of Gordon, Davis, and Rivers if they match...

Comment

Hornets match Suns' offer and retain Eric Gordon - Yahoo! Sports

Looks like Gordon is going to be upset now. LOL! But Hornets have bright future with Davis, Anderson, Gordon, and Rivers. Plus they will probably get a top 8 lottery pick for the next 2-3 seasons.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- The Hornets have matched the Phoenix Suns' four-year, $58 million offer to Eric Gordon, keeping the restricted free agent guard in New Orleans.

The move to retain Gordon on Saturday was expected, as Hornets general manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams had indicated they hoped the 23-year-old former Indiana standout could be the center piece of a rebuilding effort that will also include first overall draft choice Anthony Davis and No. 10 pick Austin Rivers.

Comment

Working...
              X