Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Lakers Off Season Additions Was The Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Lakers Off Season Additions Was The Best?

I have been following the Lakers since way back in 1988 when I was 5 years old and could comprehend what basketball was. I really got way more into basketball and basketball card collecting in 1996. My favorite basketball player left the Orlando Magic and signed with the Lakers.

In the last 17 years, the Lakers had 3 MAJOR off seasons where they made significant additions to their team.

Which year do you think they did the best in their additions? I am only listed the main additions since there were several other complimentary players added that are not going to be on the list.

1996 - Lakers traded Vlade Divac to the Charlotte Hornets for the draft rights to Kobe Bryant. Lakers traded Anthony Peeler and George Lynch to the Vancouver Grizzlies to clear cap space. They later signed Shaquille O'Neal away from the Orlando Magic. Even though no buddy knew how good Kobe Bryant would be since he was a 18 year old rookie, I still had to put that on this list. Shaq was in his prime.

2003 - Lakers signed two future Hall of Famers who both took significant paycuts to try to win a Championship. They signed Gary Payton away from the Milwaukee Bucks for $5 million. That same day they signed Karl Malone away from the Utah Jazz for $1 million. At this stage, both players were near the end of their careers, but still put up great numbers the season prior.

2012 - Lakers use their trade exception gained from the Dallas Mavericks in the Lamar Odom salary dump to land Steve Nash from the Phoenix Suns. Later they sign Antawn Jamison away from the Cleveland Cavaliers for $1 million. They finish their off season additions by trading Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard. Nash and Jamison are near the end of their careers, but put up good numbers the season prior. Dwight is in his prime.
    1996 - Shaquille O'Neal & Kobe Bryant
    100.00%
    2003 - Gary Payton & Karl Malone
    0.00%
    2012 - Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, & Antawn Jamison
    0.00%

Of all the moves this offseason, the trade for Nash set the tone. They stole him from PHX and even had they not done the Howard trade, they would have still been set up to make a good run. To get Howard they still had to give up Bynum (more than 2 low picks given for Nash).

Comment

I still think it is impossible to beat Kobe and Shaq. The Lakers had been in a funk for almost 10 years at that time and this restored them to their glory days.
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
        I still think it is impossible to beat Kobe and Shaq. The Lakers had been in a funk for almost 10 years at that time and this restored them to their glory days.
        And Tex Winter's triangle offense!!

Comment

1996, that offseason led to multiple championships.

Comment

I guess we cant really determine this season's additions until 2-3 years from now. If Lakers can win the next 2-3 titles and be the best team in the NBA, then this can become less one sided.

Comment

Working...
            X