Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte Bobcats To Become Hornets

Y! SPORTS

Team name wont matter, they still suck at drafting players. Look at all their first round picks since 2004. Their only good picks were Okafor, Felton, Kemba, and Kidd-Gilchrist. They got essentially nothing for Okafor and Felton, plus their best player in franchise history was probably Gerald Wallace and they got nothing for trading him too. LOL!

2004 - Emeka Okafor
    2005 - Raymond Felton, Sean May
    2006 - Adam Morrison
    2007 - Brandan Wright (Traded to Warriors for Jason Richardson), Jared Dudley
    2008 - D. J. Augustin, Alexis Ajinca
    2009 - Gerald Henderson
    2010 - N/A
    2011 - Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo (Traded Stephen Jackson & Tobias Harris for him)
    2012 - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan is changing his team's name to the Hornets, said a person familiar with the situation.

The person said Jordan will detail the timetable for the change to be completed at a press conference the Bobcats have scheduled for Tuesday. The person spoke to The Associated Press Monday on condition of anonymity because the name change has not been publicly announced.

NBA deputy commissioner and COO Adam Silver previously said it would take ''about 18 months'' for the Bobcats to change their name. That means Charlotte could once again become the Hornets by the 2014-15 season.

The Hornets resided in Charlotte from 1988-2002 before then-owner George Shinn moved the franchise to New Orleans.

The New Orleans Hornets recently changed their name to the Pelicans.

Silver said in an April interview if the Bobcats decided to change their name to the Hornets it would be ''an enormously complex process and a very expensive process for the team. From everything to the uniforms, to the building, to the letterhead to the signs on the offices - all of that has to be taken into account.''

While he didn't estimate how much the change would cost, Silver did say the fact that the league owns the rights to the name Hornets could help speed up the transition process.

''I'll let (the Bobcats) speak to their own time line, but we're supportive of whatever they do,'' Silver said in April.

The Bobcats conducted a Harris Interactive poll in January to determine if fans were in favor of a name change. The Bobcats have never announced the results of those polls.

The name Bobcats originally incorporated the first name of the team's initial owner, Bob Johnson, who later sold the team to Jordan in 2010.

In February, Jordan weighed in on the idea of changing the team's name to the Hornets in his monthly ''Chairman's Corner'' column on the team's website, but was non-committal on his intentions.

''Judging from the emails you've sent me, the opinion seems to be very mixed,'' Jordan said on the team's website. ''Some of you have said we should change the name and some of you have said we should not. In fact, a few of you even suggested that we should change the name to something new altogether, and not use Bobcats or Hornets.''

Jordan added that ''there are a lot of factors to take into account and a lot of information to sift through. This is a decision that we will not take lightly and we will not make hastily. We want to do what we believe will be in the best interests of our organization and our fans.''

The NBA board of governors is scheduled to meet in July and it's possible they could vote on the name change at that time.

Although the Hornets never experienced much playoff success in Charlotte, they were extremely popular team among fans.

The Charlotte Hornets had a sellout streak of 364 games - a span of nearly nine seasons - before interest began to sag in the final years and Shinn relocated the team.

The Bobcats haven't been nearly as popular in part because of their struggles on the court.

They've only been to the postseason once since they began play in 2004 and finished the 2011-12 season with a 7-59 record, the worst winning percentage (.106) in NBA history.

Adam Morrison
    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

I'm sure changing the name will help MJ become a good GM.......or not.

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
        I'm sure changing the name will help MJ become a good GM.......or not.
        Good like Dumars?

Comment

don't make fun of my team lol

Comment

a name change isn't going to help this team.plus they really won't be the hornets.that team is now the pelicans.not the same

Comment

Originally posted by ronpage69 View Post
              a name change isn't going to help this team.plus they really won't be the hornets.that team is now the pelicans.not the same
              I'll bet that Cleveland Browns fans wouldn't support that argument!

Comment

Y! SPORTS

The NBA Board of Governors officially approved a name change that allows the Charlotte Bobcats to become the Hornets again after the 2013-14 season.

The team reclaimed its original name that went to New Orleans when the franchise moved there and remained the Hornets until it was dropped in favor of Pelicans after this past season.

The 2013-14 season will be the final one as the Bobcats.

"We're thrilled to bring back the Hornets to Charlotte and the Carolinas," Bobcats owner Michael Jordan said. "The passion and enthusiasm around this name change by fans in this market has been unmatched. They overwhelmingly told us what they wanted, we listened and we couldn''t be happier with the Board of Governors' approval of the name change.

"With the young team we are developing on the court, the direction of our business and the return of the Hornets name, we are extremely excited about our future. The Buzz is Back!"

The next step in the transition will be the development of colors, logos and uniforms, the team said.

Comment

I read that Jordan has hired his best friend and his brother as two of the key members of the executive staff.
                  Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
                  Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
                  Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Never really have been able to make a good argument on any of their draft picks.

I'm surprised the Jazz never got forced out of their name to give it back to New Orleans.
                    I am looking for: JJ Watt, Kawhi Leonard, George Springer, Carlos Correa, Jose Altuve, Panini Points...
                    http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z260/leedawg62/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/143859720@N05/albums
                    I don't deal outside the US

Comment

Working...
                    X