Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Waive Glen Davis, Signs With Clippers

Y! SPORTS

Odds are he signs with Clippers to reunite with Doc Rivers.

The Orlando Magic have reached an agreement on a contract buyout with forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis, sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Magic tried hard to move Davis before Thursday's trade deadline but were unable to find a deal to unload him. The Los Angeles Clippers are the frontrunners to sign Davis, league sources said. Clippers GM and coach Doc Rivers coached Davis with the Boston Celtics and had discussions with Orlando in recent days about acquiring him. The Brooklyn Nets, who like the Clippers are searching for a backup big man, have signifcant interest in Davis too, league sources said. Also interested, according to one of the sources, are the Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs and Golden State Warriors.

Magic officials want to start giving more playing time to their young corps of forwards, including Andrew Nicholson, and were concerned with how Davis would handle a diminished role.

Davis, 28, is being paid $6.4 million this season and $6.6 million next season. The 6-foot-9, 289-pounder averaged 12.1 points and 6.3 rebounds this season for Orlando.

Davis becomes an unrestricted free agent Monday assuming he clears waivers.

Glen Davis to sign with Los Angeles Clippers - ESPN Los Angeles

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Glen Davis will sign with the Los Angeles Clippers when he clears waivers and becomes a free agent at 5 p.m. ET, sources told ESPN.

Davis, 28, reached a buyout with the Orlando Magic on Friday and was waived. The Brooklyn Nets had also shown interest in Davis, but sources tell ESPN that they have decided to sign Jason Collins, feeling that they are out of the running on Davis.

Davis, averaging 12.1 points and 6.3 rebounds in 45 games this season, was making $6 million this season and was due to make about $6.6 million next season.

Clippers coach Doc Rivers was hoping to sign Davis, who played for Rivers with the Boston Celtics from 2007 to 2011, winning a championship in 2008. Davis would be the only player on the Clippers roster to have won an NBA title.

"It's not official yet but hopefully it will be," Rivers said Sunday. "It gives us another big and what I like about a guy like that is he can play a five with a four. If we got a guy like that, he also knows my system."

The Clippers will be en route to New Orleans to play the Pelicans on Monday after playing the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday when Davis clears waivers. Rivers was coy but smiled when asked about Davis possibly joining the team as early as Monday.

"I've heard of him," Rivers said when asked about Davis. "We call him Baby Baby. ... Whatever happens happens soon. I have a hunch. I do have a hunch but until everything is done I have no idea."

After deciding not to extend Sasha Vujacic's 10-day contract and trading Antawn Jamison and Byron Mullens, the Clippers roster currently stands at 12. The roster flexibility was created in part to give the Clippers the opportunity to sign players like Davis who were bought out.

"The one thing we did predict right was the buyout season would be active this year and I don't think it's finished," Rivers said. "I think there will be more guys being bought out. It's every man for themselves right now I guess."

Comment

Working...
    X