Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulls Buy Out Dwyane Wade - Signs With Cavaliers

Cavs, Spurs, Heat among Dwyane Wade's top suitors

The Cleveland Cavaliers have emerged as clear favorites to land newly minted free agent Dwyane Wade, after he agreed to a buyout agreement with the Chicago Bulls on Sunday, sources told ESPN.com.

Wade agreed to leave about $8 million of his $23.8 million salary on the table after talks between the two sides about a resolution intensified ahead of Monday's start of training camp.

Wade has a long-standing relationship with LeBron James, who attempted to recruit Wade to Cleveland last summer, but the Cavs didn't have salary-cap space at the time. James and Wade have kept in touch this summer about Wade's options, sources said.

In addition to the Cavs, the San Antonio Spurs, Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder are contenders for Wade once his buyout becomes official, sources said. Wade also has a close relationship with Carmelo Anthony, who will officially become a member of the Thunder on Monday.

Wade, speaking to the AP on Sunday night, indicated that he might decide his next move quickly.

"I'm going to take tonight and some of tomorrow and speak to the teams or players that are on my list and go from there,'' Wade said. "My decision is a pure basketball decision, and I'll make the one that fits me best at this point in my career and with what I feel I have to offer a team that needs what I have to offer.''

Last week, Heat president Pat Riley hinted at the team's desire to bring Wade back: "Anything that happens from a personnel standpoint down the road or any opportunities that are there, we're always going to approach that," Riley said about Wade.

Among Wade's expected suitors, the Heat currently would have the most money available to offer, at $4.2 million. The Spurs have $3.3 million, and the Cavs have $2.5 million. The Thunder could offer only the minimum salary, which is $2.3 million. It would be most costly for the Cavs, as they would pay $10.5 million in luxury tax if they added Wade.

The Bulls were motivated to work out a deal with Wade as they begin a rebuilding phase. The team signaled a shift by trading away Jimmy Butler in June and then electing not to re-sign Rajon Rondo.

Chicago had reason to still give Wade roughly $15 million of his salary for the season, as they are still below the mandated salary floor.

Wade averaged 18.3 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.8 assists in 60 games last season.

Dwyane Wade plans to join Cavs after clearing waivers

Twelve-time NBA All-Star guard Dwyane Wade plans to sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers once he clears waivers on Wednesday, league sources told ESPN.

Wade, who agreed to a contract buyout with the Chicago Bulls on Sunday, will be an unrestricted free agent and will sign a one-year, $2.3 million veterans minimum deal to reunite with LeBron James, league sources said.

Wade's relationship with James, cemented over four seasons and two NBA titles together with the Heat, pushed the Cavaliers past the Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs and Miami in pursuit of Wade.

Wade, a three-time NBA champion and MVP of the 2006 NBA Finals, will join a formidable Cavaliers roster with James, Kevin Love, JR Smith and Tristan Thompson. The Cavs will be without injured All-Star point guard Isaiah Thomas until at least January.

The team will initially cut a nonguaranteed training camp invitee to make room for Wade on the 20-man training camp roster, a Cavs source told ESPN. It will need to make an additional move beyond that to make space for him on the 15-man regular-season roster.

Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue said it will be a challenge with all the new players added to the Cavaliers' roster this offseason, but he and his players are up for it.

"Anytime you get new pieces and new players, it's always challenging, but I'm up for the challenge, and so are the players," he said. "We will figure it out. It will be a good year for us."

Thompson said he expects Wade will fit in well.

"He's pretty familiar with most of the guys on our team, whether playing against or playing with," he said. "I think he's going to jell pretty well. He's a veteran. He's always been a good locker room guy. We've never heard anything bad.

"It would be great for our team to have another championship-mentality player on our team. It's just more pieces to the puzzle."

Wade averaged 18 points for the Bulls last season. In 14 seasons, he has averaged 23.3 points, 5.7 assists and 4.8 rebounds a game.

Wade, 35, gave back $8 million of his $23.8 million 2017-18 salary to reach a buyout agreement with the Bulls, league sources said.

Comment

Things...Just...Got...Interesting!
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Working...
      X