Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clippers Sign Lou Williams To 3 Year $24 Million Extension

Lou Williams agrees to 3-year extension with LA Clippers

The LA Clippers have agreed to a contract extension with Lou Williams, who had been one of the most pursued players heading into this week's NBA trade deadline.

The sides agreed Wednesday to a three-year deal that includes a team option for the third season, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Yahoo! Sports. The contract is worth $24 million, according to ESPN's Bobby Marks. The third year is guaranteed for $1.5 million that becomes fully guaranteed if he's not waived by July 15, 2020.

The Clippers have not officially announced the extension, but Williams openly acknowledged that he appreciated the long-term commitment.

"It was nice for the organization to commit to me the same way I've committed to these guys this year," Williams told reporters Wednesday. "In years past, these scenarios don't usually go my way, so it was nice for one to go my way and [for me to end up] somewhere I wanted to be. ... It's just nice to have that one consistent -- you know you're going to be somewhere for an extended period of time."

Williams, 31, is averaging 23.3 points and 5.3 assists per game -- both career bests -- and is earning $7 million in the final year of his previous contract. The veteran has averaged 13.5 points during his 13-year career and has also played for Philadelphia, Atlanta, Toronto, the Lakers and Houston.

"I feel like I'm a quality basketball player, and usually quality basketball players don't get moved so much," he said. "I understand I had a relatively cheap deal considering the numbers I had. It was an expiring contract, and that's enticing to teams trying to make playoff runs.

"I understand the business part of it, but personally it's like my kids didn't know who to root for anymore. They were confused -- they were walking around with Rockets shorts and Lakers jerseys. They just didn't know what was going on."
Working...
X