X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike D'Antoni Steps Down As Lakers Coach

Heisler: D'Antoni to return as Lakers coach - The Orange County Register

NOOOOO!!!

Ready for Mike D’Antoni III? After 10 days of soul searching, the key figures in Lakers management are agreed on bringing back D’Antoni for a third season as coach, a source with knowledge of the deliberations told the Register.

Keeping D’Antoni, of course, would be unpopular among Lakers fans, united in their desire to see him fired and Jim Buss resign.

The Lakers aren’t commenting, but Jimbo’s not planning on leaving. With Pau Gasol making no secret of his dissatisfaction and Kobe Bryant reportedly in favor of a change, D’Antoni was widely expected to be fired.

But one thing you’ve got to love about the Lakers – I do, anyway – they don’t always do the easy thing.

D’Antoni took himself out of the running for the Marshall University coaching job last week, which went to his brother, Dan.

However, reports from West Virginia that the Lakers told Mike he was returning are incorrect.

D’Antoni decided he didn’t want to return to Marshall, where he once starred, in any case.

The Lakers have yet to inform D’Antoni of anything, but they intend to keep him, absolving him of blame for the 27-55 finish without Bryant and Steve Nash for 141 of a possible 162 games.

Nor are they discomfited by Gasol’s announcement on his website. (“I’ve never concealed the fact that D’Antoni’s style doesn’t suit my game. … I don’t know if my decision will be swayed by whether Mike stays or leaves. Obviously, the coach is a very important factor for any team.”) Jeanie Buss, who noted recently, “I’m the boss,” is continuing her preference to leave basketball decisions to the basketball people.

Jim is aligned with GM Mitch Kupchak, a steadfast D’Antoni defender emerging as an ever-stronger figure with a multi-year extension in the wake of their misadventures.

Despite local anguish about leadership, the Lakers have a plan. It’s just not one that anyone likes … starting with Bryant, who must have thought more was possible when he signed that two-year, $48.5 million extension … which may have served as a wake-up call for Jeanie and Jim, who did it, to return direction to the professionals.

If they hoped to bag a front-line player and a blue-chip draftee this offseason, who knew there would be few blue-chippers and no marquee free agents?

It’s true, the Lakers can be trying, or, depending on your point of view, comical. A rare combination of genius and dysfunction, it’s amazing they could get out of bed, much less win five titles from 2000 to ’10 as the Kobe-Shaquille O’Neal feud broke up the team that won three in a row … and Jeanie and Phil Jackson became a power couple, alienated from Jim … with their father disinclined to bring her fiancé back again.

Getting the big things right makes up for a lot. Jerry Buss had a poor boy’s ambition, a gambler’s daring and the humility to let his professionals run things, not only with the iconic Jerry West but the low-key Kupchak.

The Jerrys’ coup came five titles into Buss’s tenure, between Johnson’s 1991 retirement and Shaq and Kobe’s 1996 arrival, having saved the cap space that gave them the leverage.

Man another rough year for Laker fans
    U.S. NAVY VET ~ I ONLY MAIL ON FRIDAYS
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/JoseOzzieCanseco
    Click Banner for Trade List and Bucket Link

Jose Canseco total 968/2,658 = 36.4% 53 g/u 15autos
    Ozzie canseco total 41/42 =98% 1g/u 4 autos

Comment

Wow this is strange indeed!
      http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

The idiot coach wants them to pickup his fourth year option too. Is he crazy?

Comment

Actually the Lakers are crazy for picking up this year. So it amkes sense to me to ask on the 4th?

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Mike D'Antoni resigns as coach of Los Angeles Lakers - ESPN Los Angeles

Just posted 3 minutes ago. He is gone!!!!

Mike D'Antoni has resigned as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, according to sources.

During conversations with the Lakers over the past two weeks, D'Antoni had asked them to pick up the team option on the fourth year of his contract, sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.

D'Antoni had one year remaining on his deal at $4 million. The Lakers held a $4 million team option on him for 2015-16.

Los Angeles went 27-55 this season, its first full campaign under D'Antoni. The Lakers posted the second-worst winning percentage (.329) in team history, the worst 82-game record in team history and their lowest win total since the franchise relocated from Minnesota.

D'Antoni, 62, has posted a 67-87 record since being hired by the Lakers early in the 2012-13 season to replace Mike Brown.

Comment

But who is going to be coach?

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Originally posted by tndcollectables View Post
                But who is going to be coach?
                Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!
                Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
                Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
                Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Congrats, Kerwin!

Comment

Working...
                  X