Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warriors Fire Mark Jackson As Head Coach

Mark Jackson out as coach of Golden State Warriors - ESPN

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Golden State Warriors have fired Mark Jackson, ending the franchise's most successful coaching tenure in the past two decades but also one filled with drama and distractions.

General manager Bob Myers thanked Jackson in a statement Tuesday for "his role in helping elevate this team into a better position than it was when he arrived nearly 36 months ago." Myers said it was a difficult decision but that the Warriors "simply feel it's best to move in a different direction at this time."

"Thanks to the Warriors organization for the opportunity you gave me," Jackson told ESPN. "Thanks to the great fans for all of your support!! Thank you to my players!! Who I love!! We accomplished a lot together!! I wish you all nothing but the best! God bless."

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Sunday that Steve Kerr and Stan Van Gundy would be at the top of Golden State's search list if Jackson were fired. The New York Daily News, citing a league source, reported the Warriors have already contacted Kerr. The Warriors are also expected to speak with former Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins, league sources told ESPN.

Sources close to the situation say the New York Knicks remain the favorite to land Kerr, thanks to the TNT broadcaster's close ties to new team president Phil Jackson. But Kerr also has strong relationships with Warriors owner Joe Lacob and team president Rick Welts, with whom he worked in Phoenix.

The San Jose Mercury News reported over the weekend that the Warriors have strong interest in Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg, but sources say the Warriors -- like the Minnesota Timberwolves -- are pessimistic about being able to lure him away from his alma mater.

Jackson's three seasons with the Warriors will be remembered for the way he helped turn a perennially losing franchise into a consistent winner and the bold, bombastic way in which he did it.

He guaranteed Golden State would make the playoffs in his first season, but the Warriors finished 23-43 after the NBA labor lockout. They went 47-35 last season and had a memorable run to the second round of the playoffs, and they were 51-31 this season before losing to the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round.

The Warriors had not made the playoffs in consecutive years since the 1990-91 and 1991-92 seasons. They had made the playoffs once in 17 years before Jackson.

"Obviously (the decision) was not made exclusively on wins and losses," Lacob said.

He's a good coach. It won't be long before he gets a job.
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Working...
    X