Clippers Sign Spencer Hawes to 4 Years $23 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clippers Sign Spencer Hawes to 4 Years $23 Million

Spencer Hawes agrees with Los Angeles Clippers on 4-year, $23 million deal - ESPN Los Angeles

Clippers are either planning on trading Deandre Jordan, or just got the best backup center in the league now.

LOS ANGELES -- Free agent center Spencer Hawes has agreed to join the Los Angeles Clippers next season, sources confirmed Friday.

Hawes will sign a four-year, $23 million deal with the Clippers that will take up the team's midlevel exception unless it can complete a sign-and-trade deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers before July 10, sources said.

Teams can't sign free agents until the NBA's moratorium on deals is lifted on that date.

Signing a big man, especially one who could shoot from the outside, was a priority for the Clippers this offseason, and coach and president of basketball operations Doc Rivers targeted Hawes early.

In fact, the Clippers looked into a deal for Hawes, 26, before the trade deadline this past season.

Hawes averaged 13.2 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game last season with the Philadelphia 76ers and Cavaliers.

Almost as important for the Clippers, Hawes hit better than 41 percent from 3-point range and nearly 45 percent while he was in Cleveland.

Yahoo! Sports first reported the deal.

He's a nice player. I hoped the Cavs could keep him, but didn't expect it to happen. I think I would prefer draft picks in a sign and trade, but I'm not sure that's realistic with the Pierce talk.
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Working...
    X