Mavericks Sign Chandler Parsons To 3 Year $46 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mavericks Sign Chandler Parsons To 3 Year $46 Million

Restricted free agent Chandler Parsons and Dallas Mavericks agree to deal, sources say - ESPN Dallas

Rockets now have to wait on Bosh before deciding what to do with Parsons. LOL!

The Dallas Mavericks and restricted free agent Chandler Parsons have agreed on a three-year deal worth in excess of $45 million, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that Parsons will sign the offer sheet Thursday, after which the Houston Rockets will have three days to match the offer or lose Parsons.

It remains to be seen whether Houston will match the offer to Parsons while the Rockets are trying to convince Chris Bosh to leave Miami and sign with them.

Sources say Parsons' deal is likely to possess a player option after the second season -- which could make Parsons a free agent in the summer of 2016 alongside star Rockets center Dwight Howard -- and a hefty trade kicker.

The Mavericks have targeted Parsons to join Dirk Nowitzki and Tyson Chandler in a completely revamped frontcourt.

Houston Rockets decline to match Dallas Mavericks offer for Chandler Parsons - ESPN Dallas

Wow I am surprised Rockets didnt match. They have lost 3 starters from last season in Asik, Parsons, and Lin.

The Houston Rockets have decided not to match the Mavericks' three-year, $46 million offer sheet for Chandler Parsons, which means the versatile forward will join Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas.

Parsons told ESPN.com he received the call from the Rockets just prior to 6 p.m. ET on Sunday informing him that they would not be matching the offer.

"I really appreciate the opportunity Houston gave me and I had three great years there," Parsons told ESPN.com, "but I am really excited for the next chapter of my career in Dallas -- to play with one of the greatest players in Dirk and a terrific owner in Mark Cuban."

Cuban was equally ecstatic to land Parsons, saying "Welcome to Dallas, Chandler Parsons!!!" via his Cyber Dust messaging app.

Sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the teams have already begun to engage in sign-and-trade talks that could potentially create a trade exception for Houston, but Parsons is going to Dallas either way.

The 25-year-old Parsons averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists this past season -- his third with the Rockets.

Parsons will have a player option for the third year and can become an unrestricted free agent at the age of 27.

The Rockets had until 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday night to match the Mavericks' offer.

Sunday will prove to be a day to remember for Parsons, with sources telling Stein that the new Maverick is poised to be added to the USA Basketball roster of approximately 20 players that will compete for 12 final roster spots for this fall's inaugural FIBA World Cup in Spain.

Sources say that Parsons will officially be added to the Team USA roster Monday, with a training camp scheduled for the end of the month in Las Vegas so coach Mike Krzyzewski can whittle the roster down to the maximum of 12. Locks for the team bound for Spain include Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge and -- if healthy -- Derrick Rose.

Parsons was drafted by Houston with the 38th overall pick in 2011. He helped lure Dwight Howard to Houston last season and teamed with Howard and James Harden to win 54 games in the regular season before losing in the first round of the playoffs to Portland.

The Rockets intended to exercise their right to match the offer to Parsons, but Houston's plans changed after they failed to sign All-Star power forward Chris Bosh in free agency. Bosh instead returned to the Miami Heat on a five-year, $118 million contract, leaving the Rockets without the third star to complement Howard and Harden.

The Rockets found a more cap-friendly replacement for Parsons in free-agent small forward Trevor Ariza, who signed a four-year, $32 million deal with the Rockets on Saturday.

Comment

So glad Houston didn't match. Dallas will be looking pretty good next year.
      -Brady

Looking for mainly Cowboys, Andy Dalton
      http://sportscardalbum.com/u/bcw716
      http://s1291.beta.photobucket.com/us...62121686120534

Comment

Working...
      X