Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Cuban Gets Technical Foul In Mavericks Game

Mark Cuban of Dallas Mavericks takes blame for technical foul - ESPN Dallas

MILWAUKEE -- For all the yelling and screaming he's done at referees during his nearly 15 years as the Dallas Mavericks owner, Mark Cuban had never been called for a technical foul until Wednesday night.

Officially, the technical foul was assessed to Dallas assistant coach Monte Mathis with 10:30 remaining in the third quarter of the Mavs' 107-105 win over the Milwaukee Bucks.

"They had to give it to Monte because they're not allowed to give it to me," Cuban said. "So then [referee Nick Buchert] went up and apologized to Monte afterward."

Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said the team intends to email the league office to clarify that the comments that prompted the technical were from Cuban, not Mathis.

"The hope is that that technical will be rescinded, just to get it on the record," Carlisle said. Mathis, who has a vocal cord problem that physically prevents him from yelling, reacted to the technical foul with a look of astonishment and appeared to plead to the official that he didn't say anything.

Cuban, who has been assessed fines totaling more than $1 million for public criticism of officiating, said the call was in response to mild feedback from him after he felt a foul should have been called on a Bucks defender.

"All I said was, 'You've got to make that call,' " said Cuban, who sits behind the Mavs' bench at road games. "No cursing. Didn't curse the whole game. Quiet, relatively speaking, the whole game."

Mark Cuban technical foul rescinded, Rick Carlisle says - ESPN Dallas

DALLAS -- The technical foul Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban claimed was called on him -- but officially assessed to assistant coach Monte Mathis -- has been rescinded by the NBA, head coach Rick Carlisle said.

The NBA office has not commented on the technical foul, which was called by referee Nick Buchert with 10:30 remaining in the third quarter of the Mavs' 107-105 win Wednesday over the Milwaukee Bucks.

According to Cuban and Carlisle, it was a comment from the Mavs' owner that drew the referee's ire. However, Cuban is not eligible to be called for a technical foul because he doesn't sit on the Mavs' bench. Cuban believes Buchert recognized his mistake and attempted to mask it by calling the technical on Mathis.

"It was ridiculous," Cuban said Friday. "They knew it, and the ref came up to Monte after the fact and said, 'Sorry, I'll send a note.'"

Cuban, who has been assessed fines totaling more than $1 million for public criticism of officiating, said the call was in response to mild feedback from him after he felt a foul should have been called on a Bucks defender. He said he did not curse or say anything inflammatory.

"I didn't even get a good shot in," said Cuban, who sits behind the Mavs' bench at road games and in a courtside seat next to the bench at home games. "But I'm a lot more discreet in picking my spots these days."

Comment

Working...
    X