Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knicks Buyout Amare Stoudemire - Signs With Mavericks

NBA Knicks to buy out Amar'e contract - ESPN

Amar'e Stoudemire's tenure with the New York Knicks ended Sunday when he reached an agreement on a buyout from the franchise, league sources have confirmed.

Stoudemire, who was in the final season of a five-year, $99.7 million contract, intends to sign with a team in playoff contention after clearing waivers.

ESPN reported last week that the Dallas Mavericks are considered the frontrunners to sign Stoudemire. A source told ESPNDallas.com that the Los Angeles Clippers and Phoenix Suns have also expressed interest.

The New York Daily News earlier reported the news of Stoudemire's buyout agreement.

Stoudemire will be officially waived Monday and would thus clear waivers Wednesday at 5 p.m., freeing him to sign with another team.

Claiming Stoudemire off waivers would require that team to abso‎rb Stoudemire's $23.4 million salary, which essentially rules out that scenario.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Golden State Warriors, Memphis Grizzlies, Portland Trail Blazers and Cleveland Cavaliers -- all playoff contenders in the market for extra size -- ‎are not actively pursuing Stoudemire.

Stoudemire, who was in the final season of a five-year, $99.7 million contract with the Knicks, had said he would spend the All-Star break pondering his future, specifically whether to ask the last-place Knicks for a buyout to give himself an opportunity to join a team in the playoff hunt.

"It's not an easy decision to make," Stoudemire told Yahoo! Sports. "Over time, we will see how things pan out. You give yourself a break during the All-Star break. You think about it with your family. ... That will give me a good solid week on how to weigh out the rest of the season."

The Mavs can only offer Stoudemire the veteran's minimum, but he would likely have a significant role off the bench, as a candidate for minutes at power forward and center behind Dirk Nowitzki and Tyson Chandler.

"He would fit in great because we play a lot of pick and roll," Chandler, who played with Stoudemire in New York the last three seasons, said recently. "Coach [Rick Carlisle] does an excellent job understanding scorers and how to get them the ball and putting them in a position to succeed. Not only that, we've got the best training staff in the league. That also helps."

The 6-foot-10 Stoudemire, a six-time All-Star, has averaged 12.0 points and 6.8 rebounds in 36 games for the Knicks this season despite dealing with a variety of injuries. He missed 14 of the previous 18 games -- due to ankle, wrist and knee injuries -- before returning in the*Feb. 6 loss to the Brooklyn Nets.

Stoudemire, 32, has said the decision to request a buyout would be difficult because of his loyalty to Knicks owner Jim Dolan. But he likewise acknowledged in the Yahoo! interview that the constant losing has made it hard for him to remain motivated while playing for the Knicks.

"All possibilities at this point are still open," Stoudemire said last week. "The door is still open for that. But at the same time, I am with the Knicks now. I got to stay optimistic about things and what we are doing here. I can't really focus on the future, because it's not here.

"We still have a couple weeks left before it's all said and done. It's a decision I have to make with my family to figure out the best scenario for the near future."

Carmelo Anthony heard about Stoudemire's buyout shortly after the end of Sunday's All-Star game.

"One of the main reasons I'm a New York Knick today was because of him. To see him leave, to see the situation where it's at today, I know what he wants and you have to respect that as an athlete as a competitor," Anthony said. ".... When he came (to New York) he brought back some excitement to the game of basketball here in New York. There was hope when he came back. People started believing in the New York Knicks*again. He was the main reason for that belief and for that hope."

I think most expected this. It will be interesting to see where he signs.
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

NBA Amar'e Stoudemire will join Mavs - ESPN

DALLAS --*Amar'e Stoudemire*has committed to joining the Dallas Mavericks, according to league sources, giving him a chance to compete for a championship and adding much-needed frontcourt depth to a Western Conference contender's bench.

Stoudemire, who negotiated a buyout with the New York Knicks over the weekend and was officially waived Monday, committed to the Mavs for the remainder of the season on Monday.

The contract will not become official until Stoudemire clears waivers on Wednesday at 5 p.m. ET, making him a free agent. His $23.4 million salary essentially makes the waivers process a mere formality.

RealGM.com earlier reported*Stoudemire's commitment to the Mavs.

The Los Angeles Clippers and the Phoenix Suns*were among the playoff contenders who expressed interest in Stoudemire, a six-time All-Star who averaged 12 points and 6.8 rebounds in 36 games with the Knicks this season.

However, as ESPN.com reported earlier this month, the Mavs were the front-runners for Stoudemire's services all along.

Stoudemire, 32, has stated a desire to compete for a championship and will get that opportunity with the Mavs, who are fifth in the West with a 36-19 record. That was his reason for requesting a buyout from the Knicks, who have the NBA's worst record at 10-43.

"I feel truly blessed to have been able to play for the incredible New York fans, Mr. Dolan, my coaches, teammates and the entire Knicks organization for the past five years," Stoudemire said in a statement released by the team. "I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to contribute positively on the court and in the community.

"Although I leave the Knicks with a heavy heart, I wish the organization the best of luck. Once a Knick always a Knick."

The Mavs could only offer the prorated veteran's minimum to Stoudemire, who was in the final season of a five-year, $99.7 million deal with the Knicks.

Dallas was attractive to Stoudmire in part because of a pick-and-roll-intensive offense that plays to his strengths. The Mavs also have a highly respected medical staff, led by Team USA athletic trainer Casey Smith, that will maximize Stoudemire's chances of staying healthy for the stretch run and playoffs while dealing with chronic knee problems.

The Mavs envision Stoudemire as a key bench player who will back up center Tyson Chandler and also see spot duty at power forward behind Dirk Nowitzki. He will provide the Mavs with a quality replacement for Brandan Wright, the high-efficiency reserve big man the Mavs gave up in the December deal to acquire Rajon Rondo.

Comment

Working...
      X