Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suns Trade Goran Dragic To Heat

Phoenix Suns trade Goran Dragic to Miami Heat - ESPN

Heat got a steal here, they didnt have to give up Deng.

The Phoenix Suns have dealt Goran Dragic to the Miami Heat in a package deal that highlighted the busiest NBA deadline day in 25 years as 37 players changed hands.

The Suns also sent Dragic's brother, Zoran, to Miami in the deal.

In return, Phoenix received Danny Granger, Shawne Williams, Justin Hamilton and two first-round picks from the Heat.

Dragic had been on the trading block this week because he wasn't happy with his role in Phoenix's crowded backcourt. He made it clear that he wouldn't re-sign with the Suns when he becomes a free agent after this season.

The 28-year-old guard's points and assists are down considerably from last season, when he was third-team All-NBA. He said he doesn't like his role of "standing in the corner" and wants to go to a team where he can "be a point guard, like in the past I was my whole life."

He often found himself playing the off guard or on the wing in deference to the Suns' other point guards, Eric Bledsoe and Isaiah Thomas.

Sometimes Dragic, Bledsoe and Thomas were on the court together for Phoenix.

"Last year was great. This year it's different," Dragic said. "... Standing in the corner, it's not my game."

Dragic's agent, Bill Duffy, told the Suns on Tuesday that there was nothing they could do to keep his client with the team.

Williams and Granger were both in their first year with the Heat -- with neither playing regular minutes of late -- and Hamilton had become more expendable in recent weeks after the emergence of Hassan Whiteside in the center spot.

Miami starts its post-All-Star-break schedule in New York on Friday. The Heat are hanging on to the No. 8 spot in the Eastern Conference, part of a six-team group all bunched within two games for the final two spots on the current playoff bracket from that side of the league.
Working...
X