Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Davis Scores Career High 59 Points In Win

Pelicans vs. Pistons - Game Recap - February 21, 2016 - ESPN

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Few players have ever had the feeling Anthony Davis did Sunday.

The star center scored a franchise-record 59 points and pulled down 20 rebounds as the New Orleans Pelicans beat the Detroit Pistons 111-106.

"That was a lot of fun, because the rim looked so big that it felt like everything I shot was going to go in," Davis said. "I wasn't keeping track of my point total, but the guys were telling me at the timeouts. They wanted me to get 60."

The previous club record was 50 points by Jamal Mashburn exactly 13 years earlier against the Grizzlies. Davis went 24-of-34 from the floor and made his only two 3-pointers. He added nine free throws in 10 attempts.

After the game, Davis told NBA Lockdown Insiders on ESPN Radio that he had a feeling it would be "one of those nights." Davis also said the best part is the confidence that comes along with having a game like this.

"We made an effort to get him the ball in space, and Jrue [Holiday] did a great job of that," Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry said. "That's a really good team, and Andre Drummond is one of the best centers in this league, so that really shows what A.D. can do when we get him in space."

Davis had 19 points in the fourth quarter and broke the scoring record for the Palace of Auburn Hills set by LeBron James with 48 points in an Eastern Conference finals game on June 1, 2007.

"That one is on me. That was terrible coaching -- terrible," Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy said. "You've got to come up with something. You can't let a guy get 59. That's on me."

Davis joined Shaquille O'Neal and Chris Webber as the only NBA players with 50 points and 20 rebounds in a game since 1983.

"I don't think it will really sink in until tomorrow what I did today," Davis said. "But being in the history books with C-Webb and Shaq? That's something special."
Working...
X