Hines Ward retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hines Ward retires

PITTSBURGH -- A tearful Hines Ward announced Tuesday he was retiring from the NFL and "will remain a Steeler for life."

He is the franchise's all-time leader in every major receiving category, including receptions, yards and touchdowns. Ward said following his release he believed he "still had some football in him," but changed his mind.

Ward, who was scheduled to make $4 million in 2012, was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers earlier this offseason. The 14-year veteran receiver is coming off a season in which he finished with 46 receptions for 381 yards and two touchdowns, the lowest totals in each category since he was a rookie in 1998.

The 36-year-old Ward became the eighth player in league history to reach 1,000 career receptions in the regular-season finale against Cleveland. He and Jerry Rice are the only players in league history to reach 1,000 receptions and win multiple Super Bowls.

Yet Ward's role within the offense diminished as Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders passed him on the depth chart and Mike Wallace became a Pro Bowler.

The 2006 Super Bowl MVP did not catch a pass in Pittsburgh's 29-23 overtime loss to Denver in the wild-card round, the first time in Ward's career he was held without a reception in a postseason game.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

a Class Act!!!

Comment

I'm glad he's retiring, not because I want him out of the NFL or anything, but just because he was Pittsburgh. It was like when Emmitt went to the Cardinals, everyone was like why? Ward was smart and knew his time has come and gone and really it just wouldn't be right if he was in another uniform.
      my bucket (always being updated): http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/tbbthelegend/

Jacksonville Jaguars Spreadsheet

Collection Jacksonville Jaguars - 3134 Total - 1080 Rookies - 616 Serial #ed - 185 Game Used - 243 Autos

so I'm always on the lookout if you want to work out a trade.

Comment

just happy my worst vision is Franco in a seahags uni at the end of hsi career. So glad Hines never put me through any of it . If E Sanders stubs his toe or gets a paper cut do not be shocked at a mid season sighting of Hines

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Comment

sad that he is retiring, but happy he is not playing for anyone but the Steelers

Comment

Working...
          X