Favorite in person signing story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite in person signing story

I'm interested to hear what stories everyone has for their favorite in person signing. Did you see someone at a random place? Was someone really weird? Did you get something bizarre signed?

In the Cleveland area, there are constantly signings. I hit as many as possible and most of the teams give good access to players. I wish I had drove to Detroit a few years ago to get a Calvin Johnson auto. I've been told that he doesn't do much anymore, but I may head to training camp this year.

One of my favorite signing memories is when Matt Stover played for the Browns and spoke to us at a summer camp. I asked him to trade one of his game used footballs for a Marino rc. He signed the ball, but I gave him a 4th year Marino card. Sorry, Matt!
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

My funniest one was at a Pistons game last year when Jonas Jerebko troll'd me. I gave him my card to sign and he asked me where I got this and how I got it, so I explain and he still acted clueless, so I look over to the guy next to me who had just got the same card signed, so I turn back to him and say "I see what you did there" and he laughed.

Comment

Never got a pro in person signing but ,I used to trade a class A baseball team peanuts and sunflower seeds for singed balls and programs .Don't thank many or if any went pro. But this was a great memory I have with getting something singed in person.
      Hope I can have more stories this year.
      http://photobucket.com/trades_bucket
      Collecting Panthers and Lots more

Comment

A recent one - my son at Nationals spring training this year: Adam LaRoche's son was shagging balls with his dad. He was 11 years old (same age as my son). They started talking. Adam LaRoche gave my son a ball. We gave it back to Adam's son to sign it and have his dad sign it. So, we have a ball signed by Adam LaRoche and his 11 year old son.

About 15 years ago, my wife and I went to a couple of Phillies games. She took a picture of Pat Burrell (who she thought was hot). A few days later, we went to another Phillies game and she brought the picture. A bunch of people were trying to get his autograph and he wasn't signing. All of a sudden, he saw a cute girl in the crowd, and he reached over and signed her picture and no one else.

As a kid, I remember going to a White Sox Spring Training game in 1987. Ivan Calderon was pulled after the 3rd inning. He walked back and forth from Beer stand to Beer stand drinking beer and signing autographs. I think I got his autograph 6 different times that day!
        Last edited by ucffans; 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM.
        Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
        Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
        Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

I live in Augusta and during Masters week we often get celebrities in town. My father in law owns a limo/transportation company. I drove Marcus Allen to the Airport. I wish the story could be better, but I picked him up at 4:30 am and he slept the whole way. He did sign a 1984 Topps card however. Other celebrities were Tiger Wood's Mom and old Chucky himself Jon Gruden. I actually had him sign a note for my wife b/c she loves him.
          Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
          Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
          Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Great stories, guys!
            Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Last year, one of the Matt Kemp signings I camped out. Through twitter he asked how many fans were there and bought pizza/soda for all the fans waiting for him.

One of my favorite players and an awesome guy.
              Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
              Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
              Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
              Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Comment

Doesnt have anything to do with football, but here's my story, and Im stickin to it!
                I've had plenty in-person signings, but they're all boring, typical at spring training/card show signings.

MY favorite run-in with a celeb wasnt even for an autograph, it was the weekend I proposed to my wife in Vegas and we ran into Lute Olson (active at the time, but now ret. University of Arizona coaching LEGEND). Like I said, no autograph, but got a sweet picture of me and the wife with Lute, me lookin like a typical tourist in a tanktop, holding a beer and cheesin from ear to ear!! I spotted him from afar and told the group I was with..."Thats fu#*in Lute!!!", I grabbed the wife, told her to smile and had a friend take the pic.

It was awesome, and I'll never forget it!
                Currently looking for:
                Football: The Gronk!
                Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
                Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
                + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
                Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
                http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

I live across the street from Peyton Hillis' parents. Every evening my son will sit on our front porch hoping to spot him. Of course he never does but Peytons mother has promised when he comes in , he will get to meet him. My sons pee wee football coach coached Peyton when he was my sons age and stays in contact with him. Before their first game last year he called and gave the kids a pep talk. I think he jinxed them cause they went 1-9 for the season. Lol No signing yet but my son guarantees its gonna happen!

Comment

I totally forgot about Shelby Miller(Cardinals) signing baseballs for my son and me at an Arkansas Travelers/Springfield Cardinals AA game. He was very nice. Later I tweeted him a pic of the balls and he remembered us. Also, after failing to pull a Shelby Miller auto out of numerous Bowman Platinum boxes, I tweeted him and asked if he was sure he signed any cards? He replied "LOL Yup over 3000 for TOPPS."

Comment

The other one I forgot about is Tyler Colvin (formerly of Cubs, now with Rockies). He is from our hometown. His grandfather lives down the street from us and that is where Tyler usually stays when he is in town. His little sister is in the same class as my son. Two years ago after he was hit in the chest with a bat, he came home for a few days. My son went down there with 8 of his baseball cards and he signed all of them. A few days later, he saw him working on the boat with his grandfather and I told my son to ride his bike down there and have him son his Cubs hat. We have started our small little "Shrine" dedicated to North Augusta's Tyler Colvin. Hopefully this year he has a batting average higher than .214

Comment

In 1999, when my boys were younger and in little league we went down to the Bob Feller Museum (15 minute drive from home) to look around. We didn't realize that Billy Williams (CUB HOFer) and Bob Feller were there signing autos. There were only two other people in the place at the time and they were dealers getting a case of balls to sign most likely for resale. After they were done signing those, Bob Feller and Billy Williams sat and talked to my boys and me for half an hour. Mr. Feller showed my oldest how to grip the ball for a fastball and a curve and Mr. Williams showed them how to attack the ball when fielding. It was great! How many people can say they had a HOFer show them how to field and pitch. Then they both signed a Ball and a picture (Both of which they provided for free) Mr. Feller wrote on the picture where and when it was and who he was pitching too at the time. It was something that will never happen again.

Comment

These stories get better and better.

Comment

Anyone else? Trent Richardson has turned me down 3 times since draft day. My wife told me to quit stalking the Browns headquarters.

Comment

back in 2005,a buddy of mine and i went down to a public signing with Chris Jericho at an autoparts store in the western part of Winnipeg,it was in July,it was extremely warm and humid,and while waiting in line,someone ahead of us suffered a massive heat stroke,when told what had happened,Jericho sent a WWE rep after the ambulance to make sure the fan was alright,that proved to me then and there,that no matter what kind of persona (fan fav or absolute prick) he portrays on TV,that he truly gives a damn about his fans

Comment

Working...
                              X