Brian Urlacher considering testing the free agent market after 2012 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Urlacher considering testing the free agent market after 2012 season

Can you imagine Brian Urlacher in a uniform other than that of the Bears? Well, if Peyton Manning can show up in a Broncos uniform, I suppose anything is possible. And yes, Urlacher seemingly can imagine himself playing somewhere besides Chicago as well.

That's what he implied Friday when he said he would consider testing out the free agent market after the 2012 season.

"I think (team president) Ted Phillips said when they had the owners meeting they're gonna wait until the season is over. See what happens, how I play (before addressing the contract situation)," Urlacher told WMVP-AM 1000, via the Chicago Tribune. "It's kind of exciting. I've never been a free agent. So if I can get to free agency we'll see what happens.

"I no doubt want to finish my career here. There's no doubt about that. But you bring in free agency and all that you just never know what's gonna happen."

So, he's saying that he wants to stay in Chicago but that, somehow, unwanted forces could force him to leave the place he's spent his entire 12-year career. You know, it sounds like this problem could be thwarted by the Bears giving him an extension -- even if it's a short, relatively inexpensive one --before he hits free agency, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen at this point (and I'm not sure the Bears should either, considering Urlacher is 34 years old and is coming off a major knee problem).

Besides, he'll make $8 million in the final season of his five-year, $40.6 million contract, and there's not much of a chance he'll cash in that heavily again. In Chicago or anywhere else.

"The Bears know I want to be here. I've told them that,” Urlacher said. “I've said it publicly, and that's not gonna change," he said. "Whatever happens during the season or after the season, we'll address it then. But they know I want to be here, and I think they want me here.”

Maybe, maybe not. I guess Urlacher will find out after the 2012 season.

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Blogger
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

I think I heard a similar story for the last 2 years an it all came to a head this past December. What was it? I think it involved some guy named Pujols and the World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.... We all know how that ended!

Comment

I would if the price is right!
      I collect mainly football these days, Maurice Jones Drew, Joe Flacco, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Patrick Willis, Emmitt Smith and 1974 Topps. Baseball Derek Jeter. Basketball Kevin Garnett. Non Sports James Bond, Star Wars, Tomb Raider.

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/bakemeister52/

Comment

Working...
      X