Coughlin signs two-year extension with Giants after winning second title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coughlin signs two-year extension with Giants after winning second title

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Tom Coughlin has signed a two-year contract extension through the 2014 season with the New York Giants.

The 65-year-old Coughlin, who led the team to its second Super Bowl title under him in February, has coached the Giants since 2004. His contract was in its final year.

"It is an honor and a privilege to be the head coach of the New York Giants," Coughlin said Wednesday.

The oldest coach to win a Super Bowl, Coughlin also took the Giants to the 2007 title. New York beat New England in the Super Bowl both times.

Overall, Coughlin is 82-57 with the Giants. He also went 72-64 in eight seasons with Jacksonville, an expansion team he helped build from scratch.

Last season was one of the roughest for the Giants and Coughlin, who stood at 7-7 and needed to win their final two games to get into the playoffs. They beat the Jets and Cowboys to win the NFC East, then defeated Atlanta, Green Bay, San Francisco and the Patriots for the title.

"Tom is a winner and he's a fighter," general manager Jerry Reese said. "And I enjoy and appreciate working with him. From where I sit, I couldn't ask for more in a head coach."

Coughlin's 154 total victories tie him with Hall of Famer Marv Levy for 17th on the NFL's career list. His 12 postseason victories tie him with former Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher for the seventh-highest total in NFL history.

"Tom is the right person in the right job at the right time," Giants co-owner Steve Tisch said. "I just really appreciate how our players respond to his leadership, and obviously our organization has benefited tremendously because of the relationship Tom has with his players."

Copyright 2012 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

He's a good coach. The Giants and St. Louis Cardinals seasons had a lot in common last year. Both teams appeared to be down for the count and headed into the off season instead of the playoffs. Both teams stepped up and played like winners. Both beat Goliath to win their Championship.

Coughlin deserves to coach the Giants as long as he wants to. I think the same thing would have happened for LaRussa had he not decided to retire.

Comment

Working...
    X