Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to collect?

Hey Everyone,

I'm getting back into collecting after a brief 18-year absence, looks like things have changed a bit since I was 13. (For one, there's this internet thing...)

Just wondering if anyone had some advice about good football products. Specifically, I've read a bunch of reviews but it isn't always easy to tell what the rookies are going to be wearing. My preferences in order would be:

Playing in NFL uniform
    Playing in College uniform (Don' even know if any products have this)
    Posing in NFL uniform
    Wearing workout gear

Also, I'm probably going to stick to low-mid range products, don't think I'm quite ready to justify the high-end stuff.

Any feedback would be awesome

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 different sets being released this year...Lots of rookies....some licensed some not...tough choices ahead my friend
    Always looking for Gary Carter, Carlton Fisk, Nolan Ryan, Yogi Berra.

Comment

I like the Panini football products.

Comment

Yes I agree Panini is doing a lot of nice things with their product lines for sure. I was a huge fan of the Past and present Basketball. Their football designs are also very appealing.
        Always looking for Gary Carter, Carlton Fisk, Nolan Ryan, Yogi Berra.

Comment

There's a lot of different products out there. You'll be able to find college and NFL cards. It depends on what you like and what you're willing/able to spend. This is a good place to trade, so keep an open mind and let others know what you're looking for. Check out the give and take thread in the football marketplace for free cards.
          Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

I will tell you what I collect....

I collect anything of the Patriots in football. Can be shown in the college uni only if they were drafted by the Pats. Other than that, the player has got to be shown in the Patriots uni. Playing. Posing. Photoshopped. I am good with whatever. It doesn't matter much to me. And I collect everything from the cheapest base to star autos. If you are open to anything, even base is fun to collect. This is after all a hobby, and if you are going to collect, just pick 'something' to collect (player, team, set, parallel set, s/n, whatever) and go for it. It is supposed to be fun. And like I said, even base and inserts can be a lot of fun.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
            Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
            Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
            MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
            NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
            NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
            NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
            I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I got hooked again by topps football, and I'll probably try to do that set every year. I like the photography, deep checklist and affordability.

Apart from that, probably another set each year depending on what looks interestIng

Comment

Sleeper I agree I enjoy Topps football set every year also. Keep in mind in 2010, 2011 Topps did short Print photo variations with some of the Rookies. Also, I enjoy College Potos the most so if you pull any check me out for trades! Enjoy Sleeper, this Hobby is way more fun then it used to be, google HRX to see what I mean.
                Collecting Cowboys, College Photos (WKU, Kentucky, Virginia, LSU, Michigan), Luke Stocker, Jason Witten, Justin Houston, Felix Jones, Joe Haden

http://stores.ebay.com/wgil7173

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dtowncards/m...&_trksid=p3686

http://s1254.photobucket.com/albums/...rdboardcrack1/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                  Thanks for the advice.

I got hooked again by topps football, and I'll probably try to do that set every year. I like the photography, deep checklist and affordability.

Apart from that, probably another set each year depending on what looks interestIng
                  ive got a ton of '11 Topps base dupes,send me a list and ill see what ive got

Comment

Thanks for the offer. I need to get a little more organized and then I'll PM you and post my needs on the setbuilders thread.

So far I have a pretty good base of Topps football 2009-2011, but I better hurry up and finish at least one of them before 2012 comes out, or I'll start taking up too much space.

Comment

Bills fan eh Sleeper? At least Dareus and Spiller are good players and can be collected cheaply. Try being a Steelers or Cowboys fan and getting stuff cheap, LOL.
                      Collecting Cowboys, College Photos (WKU, Kentucky, Virginia, LSU, Michigan), Luke Stocker, Jason Witten, Justin Houston, Felix Jones, Joe Haden

http://stores.ebay.com/wgil7173

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dtowncards/m...&_trksid=p3686

http://s1254.photobucket.com/albums/...rdboardcrack1/

sigpic

Comment

Yes, tragically a bills fan. I was sucked in by their cheap season tickets an now find myself cheering for another team with terrible management and no chance of winning. Southern Ontario is possibly the worst place to be a sports fan.

I'm actually really looking forward to this season though. Win or lose, I should at least get to see a decent pass rush for once.

Comment

Working...
                        X