Modell family asks Browns to cancel tribute to former owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modell family asks Browns to cancel tribute to former owner

CLEVELAND -- Avoiding a negative reaction and potentially ugly scene, the Cleveland Browns will honor a request by Art Modell's family and not acknowledge the former owner's death before Sunday's season opener.

The Browns had planned an "appropriate recognition" for Modell, who died on Thursday at the age of 87. But Modell's son, David, spoke to Browns president Mike Holmgren and asked the team not do anything to recognize the late owner who remains vilified by many Cleveland fans for moving his team to Baltimore after the 1995 season.

Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis said the team will grant the family's wish.

Any tribute for Modell could have triggered an ugly backlash by some fans in attendance. Modell was never able to return to Cleveland after he chose to move the Browns because he couldn't get city officials to build him a new stadium.

Gulkis said Saturday that the Browns had intended to have a short tribute read over the public address system before the Browns hosted the Eagles. Following Modell's passing on Thursday, the Browns released a one-sentence statement offering their condolences to the Modell family.

The team's original decision to recognize Modell's death had brought strong reaction from some Browns fans.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league asked all its teams to honor Modell with either a moment of silence or "other appropriate gesture" at this week's games. The gregarious Modell, who owned the Browns from 1961-95, is credited with helping the league's growth in the 1960s through television contracts.

On Saturday, hundreds of Ravens fans paid their respects to Modell at Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium as his casket, draped with the American flag, was placed at the 50-yard line. David Modell and his brother, John, greeted fans who came to honor their father.

Modell's funeral is Tuesday, one day after Ravens open the season against Cincinnati.

CBSSports.com wire reports
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

dang, that is pretty cool that the Browns did that. i don't think though that the fans would have been disrespectful.
    http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Originally posted by tndcollectables View Post
      dang, that is pretty cool that the Browns did that. i don't think though that the fans would have been disrespectful.
      You are aware of the history between Modell/Cleveland, right?

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
      Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
      Johnson/Mears/
      Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Funny thing about the whole browns move is that the city ended up paying way more to bring back the team than it would have to agree to moddell's stadium financing plan/.

Comment

They already had a plan in place for a new stadium (in 1999). He was impatient and ripped the team away from the city because of greed.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
          Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
          Johnson/Mears/
          Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Originally posted by jsab4807 View Post
            They already had a plan in place for a new stadium (in 1999). He was impatient and ripped the team away from the city because of greed.
            ...and because he was a liar.

Comment

Working...
            X