Goodell apologizes to fans for ref dispute, defends replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodell apologizes to fans for ref dispute, defends replacements

For the first time, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell apologized to fans for the abominable performance of the replacement officials during the first three weeks of the season. Of course, he didn't phrase it quite like that.

"We're sorry to have to put our fans through that,” Goodell said on a Thursday afternoon conference call with reporters from around the country.

The news Wednesday night that the replacements will be replaced by the real officials, who have come to terms with the owners on a new labor deal, was met with waves of online high-fives from fans and media. In reality, with the exception of one game, the incompetence displayed by the replacements -- and the sheer hubris of the owners in allowing the farce to continue for 48 regular-season games -- likely will be forgotten.

But that one exception -- the Seahawks “win” against the Packers on Monday Night Football -- will live on forever.

And though Goodell said the results from that game didn't directly influence the agreement that occurred just TWO days later (by the way, he also said this regarding M.D. Jennings' supposed interception of Russell Wilson: "There are controversial calls and people see them differently") he also seemed to realize the missed call that could have far-reaching postseason effects wasn't such a positive moment either.

“Not much surprises me about the influence and the attention that it gets,” Goodell said.

Of course, his position directly contradicts what an owner told CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman: "That game reshaped everything. I can't remember the last time our league was a laughingstock nationally. It shook me. I think it shook a lot of people.

"We were prepared to go longer. We couldn't after that."

More from Goodell: “Mistakes do happen. We're trying to limit those mistakes. It's not realistic to think officiating will be perfect.”

That's true, and when the real officials take the field for the Thursday night game, mistakes will be made. But the real officials also know the rules -- which seemed to be a problem for the replacements.

Those interlopers also were a problem for the health and safety of the players. Right?

“I don't believe it created a greater risk to player safety,” Goodell said.

OK, then. I think I know the answer to this already, but how about the performances of the replacements? (I assume Goodell didn't see this Eye on Football blog post.)

"They were under unprecedented scrutiny,” he said. “They kept the game going [and were] incredibly focused and dedicated."

Just not very good at their jobs.

By Josh Katzowitz
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

do the words "what a crock of shit" have any meaning to Goodell?his half-assed apology will hopefully fall on deaf ears within the NFL fans' community as the self-serving pile of crap it is,Goodell's refusal to admit that the replacement refs inepitude played a large part in missed calls resulting in season ending injuries to some players is a crock,and he doesnt have the balls to admit hes wrong,hes lucky the NFLPA didnt file a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board over an unsafe working enviornment like they were threatening to do 2 weeks ago

Comment

he is a joke!
      http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Working...
      X