No announcement yet.

Peyton Manning supports wife's bid to become minority owner of NBA's Grizzlies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyton Manning supports wife's bid to become minority owner of NBA's Grizzlies

When Titans owner Bud Adams was courting Peyton Manning last offseason during free agency, Adams reportedly offered Manning a contract for life with the idea that when Manning's career was over, he would continue on as a member of the organization.

While Manning has made his love for the state of Tennessee well-known, he signed a rich deal to become Tim Tebow's successor in Denver. But Manning's wife, Ashley, will carry torch for her husband in the Volunteer State: she's joined a group of minority owners assembled by prospective Memphis Grizzlies owner Robert J. Pera, and according to the Associated Press, former NBA star Penny Hardaway will be a part of that group that also includes former 'N Sync member Justin Timberlake.

NFL Network's Michelle Beisner reported that Peyton Manning's name wasn't on his wife's application to be a minority owner and the Mannings issued a statement Thursday clarifying their involvement.

''While my focus is on playing quarterback for the Denver Broncos, I look forward to watching her become involved with her hometown team,'' Peyton Manning said.

Ashley, meanwhile, is excited about the opportunity.

''As a native of Memphis, it was important to me that the Grizzlies remain in Tennessee and continue to have a positive impact on the community," she said.

In June, Robert Pera agreed to buy the Grizzlies from Michael Heisley for an estimated $350 million. According to a July article in the Memphis Commercial Appeal, Pera planned on seeking out local partners to help buy the team. Manning, the former University of Tennessee star, would qualify in that regard.

By Josh Katzowitz
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets
Working...
X