Report: Former Lions Pro Bowler, actor Alex Karras close to death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Former Lions Pro Bowler, actor Alex Karras close to death

Alex Karras was a four-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle, and he is a beloved institution in Detroit, playing his entire 12-year career with the Lions. For folks of my generation, we got to know Karras as George Papadapolis on the 1980s TV show, “Webster,” or as Mongo in “Blazing Saddles.”

Now, Karras, via the Detroit Free Press, reportedly only has a few days to live, suffering from kidney failure and having undergone hospice care at his California home.

“(His kidneys) gave out on him and legs swelled up and his ankles swelled up and arms, so [Susan Clark, his wife] said it doesn't look good. They figured probably a couple weeks,” Tom McInerney, Karras' friend since the 1950s, told the paper.

“He said, ‘I want to go home,' so knowing Alex she made arrangements for him. … She said if you came out here it wouldn't be worth his while because right now he's talking about he wants to see his [deceased] mother and dad, and he's on morphine, he's on oxygen. She said it's maybe a couple, three days at the most.”

Karras is 77, and he's battled with cancer and dementia in recent years.

"The entire Detroit Lions family is deeply saddened to learn of the news regarding the condition of one of our all-time greats, Alex Karras,” the Lions said in a statement. “Perhaps no player in Lions history attained as much success and notoriety for what he did after his playing days as did Alex.

"We know Alex first and foremost as one of the cornerstones to our Fearsome Foursome defensive line of the 1960s and also as one of the greatest defensive linemen to ever play in the NFL. Many others across the country came to know Alex as an accomplished actor and as an announcer during the early years of Monday Night Football.

"We join his legions of fans from both sports and entertainment in prayer and support for Alex, his wife Susan, and his entire family during this most difficult time."

By Josh Katzowitz
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

this is the pits! awesome mnf announcer!
    http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

This is a bummer. I didn't really know him as a player, but I knew him from MNF, Webster, and as being a good auto TTM
      Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
      Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
      Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

He just passed away
        Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
        Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
        Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

He is going to be missed. The Lions I bet are going to be doing something along with the NFL.
          http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

Very sad news.

Comment

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
              He just passed away
              This is a bummer.

I'm glad he's not still suffering, but I miss him already.

RIP Mongo!
              - Dave

I collect Calvin, Barry, 1 auto each of rookie Lions that make the team & HOF auto & GU.

Albums

Updated 3/25/2016

Comment

Working...
              X