Trent Richardson calls his lack of second-half carries 'shocking'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trent Richardson calls his lack of second-half carries 'shocking'

That Cleveland ultimately didn't end up really competing with the Redskins on Sunday was a bit surprising: the Browns led at halftime, and Washington was running out Kirk Cousins, a backup rookie quarterback.

But maybe it shouldn't have been that surprising; Pat Shurmur's team used a run-first attack to take a 14-10 lead at halftime. They didn't in the second half, and Trent Richardson believes that was a mistake, calling out Shurmur's game plan to reporters.

"We [were] ready for the game," Richardson said via Tom Reed of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. "I think we've just got a game plan, and the game plan we had at the beginning of the game, I think we should've stuck with it. But we didn't stick with the game plan, and we tried to go do some other stuff, and the outcome came in a different way."

Richardson had two touchdowns in the first half -- and two carries in the second. And the rookie running back called the disparity in carries "shocking."

"It's shocking," he said. "But, like I said, the game's much bigger than me. I've got to let coach do what he does."

Richardson didn't really run the ball well when he did have the rock; he ended up producing just 28 yards on 11 carries (2.5 yards per carry) even though he found the end zone twice, breaking Jim Brown's Browns record for rushing touchdowns by a rookie.

The bigger issue, though, is that the Browns were leading in this game and decided to put everything on quarterback Brandon Weeden's shoulders. He threw a nice 69-yard touchdown pass to Travis Benjamin but ultimately didn't get the win.

It resulted in a rookie calling Shurmur out, and that should be a serious indication that there could be change coming down the pipe for the Browns this offseason.

By Will Brinson
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

It is amazing to me to see that the Browns have been back in Cleveland for 15 years and are not much better off than when they were an expansion team! They made the playoofs once and I believe that was with a 9-7 record.
    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

They'd probably run the ball more if their better QB was playing, Colt McCoy

Comment

They were up 14-10 at the half and gave Richardson TWO carries in the entire second half. Shurmur is a friggin MORON.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
        Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
        Johnson/Mears/
        Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Working...
        X