Eagles and Browns will aggressively pursue Chip Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles and Browns will aggressively pursue Chip Kelly

As we reported last week, Chip Kelly is the prime target of the Eagles with Andy Reid set to be fired Monday. Many in the league are bracing for an intriguing struggle for Kelly's services to emerge between Philadelphia and the Browns, who are now run by former Eagles president Joe Banner.

As one source with ties to Kelly pointed out this week, it's still roughly 50/50 that Kelly leaves college, and several execs said this week they have heard that Kelly might be only lukewarm at best about the Philadelphia opening. If the Eagles do not land Kelly, Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is also high atop their wish list, league sources said. But that, too, might not be the most attractive opening for him, and it will be a daunting chore for anyone to replace Reid on that rebuilding club.

With most expecting Nick Saban to remain with Alabama (Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam would have interest in him, sources said), Patriots coordinator Josh McDaniels is expected to merit strong consideration for the Browns' job as well. Some believe that, should the Eagles be unable to land Kelly or Gruden, Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien would be a target for them.

Reid, as we first reported weeks ago, would love to land in San Diego, where he lives, but many execs believe the Chargers might go in a less high-profile manner for their next coach. Kansas City is also a team that could suit Reid, sources said.

In addition to Kelly and O'Brien from the college ranks, Syracuse coach Doug Marrone is seen as a viable NFL candidate by some. He could get interviews for jobs this offseason and, while Jim Mora has only been at UCLA for one season, his past credentials in the NFL could lead to overtures from teams in the coming weeks.

By Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Chip Kelly to Philly! (because I have no idea why he'd want to go to Cleveland)

Comment

Originally posted by gladdyontherise View Post
      Chip Kelly to Philly! (because I have no idea why he'd want to go to Cleveland)
      Yah because Philly is a football powerhouse!! Maybe ole Chip can go coach in Detroit. Of course thats a bigger sh!t hole than Cleveland.
      Last edited by Dave Crum; 12-31-2012, 03:55 PM. Reason: Gladdy got under my skin.
      I collect a little bit of everything. But, if I never get back to you, your probably on Ignore!!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/prosefan1/

Jim Thome Have List: http://dave44671.tripod.com/

Save the Ta-Tas

Comment

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports that Oregon head coach Chip Kelly is the Browns' "clear No. 1 choice" for the team's head-coaching vacancy.
        Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is ready to spend big and is willing to give the next head coach "final say" over player personnel decisions. That is exactly what Kelly has reportedly been seeking if he makes the jump from the college ranks to the NFL. This would seem to be bad news for Brandon Weeden's future in Cleveland as he doesn't seem to fit Kelly's mold for an athletic quarterback. The Browns roster is also viewed as one of the best - if not the best - among the teams with vacancies at the top.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
        Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Originally posted by whitney777 View Post
          The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports that Oregon head coach Chip Kelly is the Browns' "clear No. 1 choice" for the team's head-coaching vacancy.
          Browns owner Jimmy Haslam is ready to spend big and is willing to give the next head coach "final say" over player personnel decisions. That is exactly what Kelly has reportedly been seeking if he makes the jump from the college ranks to the NFL. This would seem to be bad news for Brandon Weeden's future in Cleveland as he doesn't seem to fit Kelly's mold for an athletic quarterback. The Browns roster is also viewed as one of the best - if not the best - among the teams with vacancies at the top.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
          So were gonna waste another high draft pick on a quarterback. Great!! IMO we need another cornerback, linebacker, tight end, and a wide out for starters.
          I collect a little bit of everything. But, if I never get back to you, your probably on Ignore!!

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/prosefan1/

Jim Thome Have List: http://dave44671.tripod.com/

Save the Ta-Tas

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Crum View Post
            So were gonna waste another high draft pick on a quarterback. Great!! IMO we need another cornerback, linebacker, tight end, and a wide out for starters.
            Yep. This is why this team never contends. How about building the rest of the team and THEN going and finding a damn QB. If we pass on the best LB/CB in the 1st round for ANY other position, I'm gonna flip out.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
            Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
            Johnson/Mears/
            Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Originally posted by jsab4807 View Post
              Yep. This is why this team never contends. How about building the rest of the team and THEN going and finding a damn QB. If we pass on the best LB/CB in the 1st round for ANY other position, I'm gonna flip out.
              If you got Kelly though, you'd get your boy Geno Smith!

Comment

Working...
              X