Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bears Part Ways With Brian Urlacher

Y! SPORTS

The Chicago Bears have announced that they were unable to reach agreement on a new contract with longtime middle linebacker Brian Urlacher and that both sides will move forward in 2013.

"We were unable to reach an agreement with Brian and both sides have decided to move forward," general manager Phil Emery said in a statement released by the team. "Brian has been an elite player in our league for over a decade. He showed great leadership and helped develop a winning culture over his time with the Bears. We appreciate all he has given our team, on and off the field. Brian will always be welcome as a member of the Bears."

Urlacher, who turns 35 in May, has been with the Bears since he was selected with the ninth overall pick of the 2000 NFL draft. Over the last 13 seasons, Urlacher has over 1,300 tackles with 41.5 sacks and 22 interceptions, including two he returned for touchdowns. The 6-foot-4, 258-pound Urlacher went to eight Pro Bowls, was named to five All-Pro teams and was voted the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2005.

"Over the last 13 years, Brian Urlacher has been an outstanding player, teammate, leader and face of our franchise," said Bears chairman George H. McCaskey. "As Bears fans, we have been lucky to have such a humble superstar represent our city. He embodies the same characteristics displayed by the Bears all-time greats who played before him and he will eventually join many of them in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. We thank Brian for all he has given our team and our city. He will always be a part of the Bears family. We wish him the very best."

Urlacher injured his left knee late in the 2011 season and ended up missing most of last season's training camp. Urlacher missed the final four games of the 2012 season with a hamstring injury.

Despite Urlacher's age, recent injury woes and the team's offseason coaching change from Lovie Smith to Marc Trestman, the Bears had not ruled out bringing the veteran back. Earlier on Wednesday, Trestman discussed Urlacher's future with the team during the NFC coach's breakfast at the owner's meetings in Phoenix, Arizona.

Via the Chicago Sun-Times:

"We evaluated Brian and we think he can help our football team -- no doubt about it, we do. " Trestman said Wednesday during the NFC coaches breakfast during the NFL annual meetings at the Arizona Biltmore."[But] that's the coaching side of it. The coaching side is that we've made an evaluation and feel good about having Brian back. Not just from a locker-room perspective, but as a player on a football team.

"We've established that as a staff and then the rest is the process, the collective process of what is best for the Bears. There is a lot that goes into that. There's more to it than just the football side. There's a lot that goes into it. That's the best interests of the Bears. That's where we are. "

With the Bears moving on without Urlacher, and losing versatile backup Nick Roach to the Oakland Raiders in free agency, Blake Costanzo, one of the best special teams players in the league, is penciled in as the starting middle linebacker.

Vikings please sign him for at least 1-2 years!
    http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

did not see this comeing
      http://photobucket.com/trades_bucket
      Collecting Panthers and Lots more

Comment

wow, thats a shocker, was just reading about it
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/92956495@N04/sets/

my photobucket is my collection. some will be easier to trade than others, so don't be offended if I turn down a trade offer I don't like
        I collect hof au's/gu's,rcs and select lions/bears/vikings/twins/cubs for friends

Comment

Urlacher is mad. $2 million to get injured after a few games seems good to me

Comment

Free agent MLB Brian Urlacher is intent on playing in 2013.
            Urlacher had previously said he had "no immediate plans" to retire, but that's transformed to "under no circumstance" will he retire. Urlacher also said the book is "closed" on a return to the Bears. "I think their offer is off the table, and after the way they handled it, I don’t know if I want to play for them," Urlacher said Thursday. "Who knows? I may play for $2 million for someone else." Seemingly motivated by spite, Urlacher isn't going to have an easy time getting $2 million on the open market.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times
            Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Working...
            X