Veteran LB Scott Fujita signs one-day contract with Saints, retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran LB Scott Fujita signs one-day contract with Saints, retires

Scott Fujita signed a one-day contract with the New Orleans Saints on Monday before announcing his retirement in Machu Picchu, which is located in the Andes Mountains in the Urubamba Valley in Peru, South America.

Fujita was a member of the Saints from 2006 through the '09 season, and a starter on the team that beat the Colts in Super Bowl XLIV.

“I've been fortunate to play in this league for a long time and for some great organizations, but there is no doubt that my times spent in New Orleans were some of the best years of my life,” Fujita said. “The way the team and the community embraced us when we first arrived, and the way they continue to do so, even today, shows how deep this connection is. I'm honored to be a part of this organization and so proud to retire as a New Orleans Saint.”

Fujita, an 11-year pro, spent time with the Chiefs, Cowboys and Browns, in addition to his time in New Orleans. He compiled 767 tackles in his career, with his best season coming in '03 with Kansas City when he had 111 stops.

He is currently in Peru with former teammate Steve Gleason, who is battling ALS. Gleason, who formed Team Gleason, is raising awareness of the disease while inspiring others with his vigor for life.

“What better place to reach the end of the road than here at 10,000 feet above sea level, in the Peruvian Andes overlooking Machu Picchu with my dear friend Steve Gleason?” Fujita said.

By Evan Hilbert | CBSSports.com
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets
Working...
X