Hines Ward doesn't 'think football is ready' for an openly gay player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hines Ward doesn't 'think football is ready' for an openly gay player

Jason Collins decision to come out of the closet is a huge deal: Collins, despite being an NBA free agent, is the first active player in any major North American sport to be openly gay. It's not illogical to believe that the NFL and MLB are next in line to accept an openly gay player.

However, former Steelers wideout Hines Ward doesn't think that "football is ready" for an openly gay player just yet.

"I don't think football is ready. There's too many guys in the locker room and, you know, guys play around too much," Ward said on NBC Sports Radio via Pro Football Talk.

Ward obviously has intimate knowledge of NFL locker rooms, having spent 14 seasons with the Steelers.

“[H]opefully, one guy comes out of the closet and [will] be comfortable with himself,” Ward said. "I don't have anything against a gay football player or a gay person period. So if he does, he has support from me. I want people to live their lives for who they are and don't have to hide behind closed doors to do that."

There are many reasons why there isn't an openly-gay player in the NFL right now. Culture as a whole and the specific athletic culture that surrounds the NFL are just two of them.

But Collins' decision shows how far the world of sports has come. At some point, there will be an openly-gay player in the NFL. It's not a matter of if but when. And the NFL, which is clearly preparing its clubs for such an occurrence, will have to be ready.

By Will Brinson | CBSSports.com
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets
Working...
X