Brett Favre on separation from Packers: 'I was at fault'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brett Favre on separation from Packers: 'I was at fault'

An official reunion between Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers looks like it's one step closer to happening. During an interview on Thursday, Favre did something he had never done before publicly: he took responsibility for the messy way things ended in Green Bay following the 2007 season.

In a wide-ranging interview with radio station WGR 550-AM in Buffalo, Favre sounded contrite about the way he left Green Bay.

"It's over and done with. I was at fault," Favre said. "I feel that both sides had a part in it. If you could go back, would I or them have done things differently? I'm sure both sides would. But you can't."

To refresh your memory, Favre decided to retire following the 2007 season, but then unretired in July 2008 -- you can read the entire timeline here -- after the Packers had already planned on moving forward with Aaron Rodgers as their starting quarterback. Favre reported for training camp in August 2008 before Green Bay finally unloaded him in a trade with the Jets.

The situation created a rift between not only Favre and the organization, but Favre and Rodgers.

Favre and Rodgers buried the hatchet in February when they appeared on stage together to present Peyton Manning the 2012 Comeback Player of the Year award. At the time, Rodgers said it was 'time to heal things up' and 'move forward.' That was the first major step in the healing process.

By John Breech | CBSSports.com
    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Favre has fans on both side of the fence! You really love him or you really hate him. What's interesting to note is that, no matter what your opinion was of Favre, everyone watched him. Again on both sides of the fence. Was he gonna throw the interception? Or was he going to connect and make the game winning drive.

Favre is my all time idol! I've never been a fan of any sports for most of my 43 years of life. My son played football as a Tight End, as well as competing in wrestling. I had no idea what was going on. I did realize that my presence and support was the key component in my sons life. My daughter played basketball, track, cross country, soccer, all girls flag football (The Powder Puffs Girls Team), marching band, concert Band, yearbook, school newspaper, and DJ for the school radio station 88.9. She was later promoted as music director! YES, this was one of my most busiest periods of my life!!!! It wasn't till 2009 that I saw my first NFL broadcast. I turned the channel on and watched the Vikings at Packers game. I still did not know what was going on. What intrigued me and got my attention was the Vikings Quarterback with the number four jersey. I could not believe a man twice the age of his teammates keeping up as well as winning the game. Many of you might know that I got injured at work and due to the injury I've been permanatly retired. My inspiration had been Favre. As I watched the 2009 NFC Championship game (Vikings at Saints) to see Favre continuously pounded, he kept getting up converting third downs to first downs. This gave me a realization that although my situation is different, I too must convert my downs at every opportunity! Finally, at this point of Favre life's, making amends is just the next step of a greater opportunity in his life. As for myself? I've just started collecting football cards in December of 2012. My new hobby allows me to connect with everyone on this forum. I am forever grateful to all members here. All thanks to one football game in 2009.

Toshi
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

I'm glad that both sides are getting ready to put their differences aside. As a huge Favre and Packers fan... I was pissed when he decided to play for the Vikings. But now that he's retired... so has my disappointment in his decision.
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X