Report: Patriots signing Tim Tebow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Patriots signing Tim Tebow

The New England Patriots are expected to sign quarterback Tim Tebow, according to multiple reports.

ESPN first reported the news, and The Associated Press has confirmed, citing sources, that Tebow will join the Patriots' minicamp on Tuesday and sign with the team, pending a medical exam.

Tebow spent last season with the New York Jets, but only saw limited action. He finished the season with just eight passing attempts for 39 yards and zero touchdowns, and the Jets cut him on April 29.

As weeks went by with Tebow still unemployed, it seemed possible he may never play in the NFL again. Yahoo! Sports reported in May that New England head coach Bill Belichick did not like Tebow and that he said there was "no chance" of Tebow coming to the Patriots.

Belichick later refuted that report, and told ESPNBoston.com that he wouldn't rule out the team signing Tebow.

"I wouldn't get into the probability of us pursuing any free agent," Belichick said. "Every single player has strengths and weaknesses but regardless of that, for anyone to have represented that is the way I feel about Tim Tebow is completely untrue, baseless and irresponsible. It is unfortunate that something so inaccurate was reported."

The Patriots' signing of Tebow will reunite him with Josh McDaniels, New England's offensive coordinator and former head coach of Tebow with the Denver Broncos.

McDaniels and the Broncos drafted Tebow in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft, and made him the full-time starter in 2011. Tebow led the Broncos to the playoffs and a first-round upset of the Pittsburgh Steelers after an 80-yard game-winning touchdown pass in overtime.

Despite the Broncos' playoff run, he was traded to New York the following offseason when Denver signed Peyton Manning. Tebow threw only eight passes for the Jets, completing six, ran 32 times for 102 yards and was used mostly to protect the punter.

''Unfortunately,'' coach Rex Ryan said in a statement when Tebow was released, ''things did not work out the way we all had hoped.''

Former Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist sees the logic in the move.

''If you can find a club that's mature enough to handle it as an organization, then you're going to find the right spot for him,'' Sundquist said. ''What I mean by that is all the media mania and that sort of thing. The club says, 'Look, this is the reason we're bringing him on. We feel he can bring X, Y, Z and A, B, C to the table.' Explain it to Tim, explain it to the media, explain it to your fan base and explain it to your organization.''

The Patriots will have Tebow study with the team's tight ends, according to CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman. "Tebow won't exclusively study TE. But he's also not just going to study QB," Freeman tweeted.

Tebow has been criticized for his throwing motion but has said he wants to play quarterback, not switch positions. Still, the Patriots might need help at tight end after Rob Gronkowski underwent a fourth operation for a broken forearm and faces back surgery. At 6-foot-3 and 236 pounds, Tebow has the size to play that spot.

The Patriots have a history of using versatile players at multiple positions. Mike Vrabel was used as both a linebacker and tight end, while Troy Brown saw time as a wide receiver and defensive back.

Belichick also has shown a willingness to bring in players who had been off-field distractions in the past. Among the players he acquired that few other teams were willing to: Randy Moss, Chad Johnson (known as Chad Ochocinco at the time), Corey Dillon, Aqib Talib, Albert Haynesworth and Bryan Cox.

The Patriots have not officially announced the signing of Tebow, but did announce that they cut backup quarterback Mike Kafka. New England's quarterback depth chart also includes Ryan Mallett, who attempted just four passes last season.

Asked if Tebow had signed, Patriots spokesman Stacey James said, ''I do not anticipate any additional transactions to announce tonight.''
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/92956495@N04/sets/

my photobucket is my collection. some will be easier to trade than others, so don't be offended if I turn down a trade offer I don't like
    I collect hof au's/gu's,rcs and select lions/bears/vikings/twins/cubs for friends

Tebow, good or bad! Love him or hate him! This is the good ole USA! We are a nation of second chances. Give him the opportunity at the very least, and time will tell if he's a BUST! Or a ???
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

Tim Tebow's two-year contract with the Patriots contains no guaranteed money, signing bonus or 2013 incentives.
      A couple weeks ago, Tebow's only suitors were the Philadelphia Soul (as a backup), Omaha Beef and the CFL. So it's no surprise that he's settled for a team-friendly deal in New England. Officially, it's a two-year, $1.36 million contract. The Patriots can cut him at any time without any financial implications to their salary cap or wallet. Meanwhile, ESPN's Adam Schefter reiterates that Tebow will play quarterback, but Tom Brady "will not lose a play." Tebow was not signed to run the Wildcat.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
      Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO

That is all.

Comment

as bad as a passer he is...no one can dispute the fact that he has been a winner...in college and with the broncos...he did take them to the playoffs and beat the daunting blitzburgh steelers...

so maybe not a qb...but I feel like there should be a spot for him on anyone's roster looking to win!

just my opinion
          BreesFan1977's Library | Photobucket

Comment

As fragile as Gronk has been, he may find some time at TE.
            Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
            Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
            Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Working...
            X