PSA Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA Question

Wasnt sure where to post this but here goes. I recently was in a conversation to purchase an Aaron Rodgers 2005 Contenders BGS 9.5/10 AU but the buyer got a better offer last minute.

So Ive been looking the last few weeks and one popped up on Ebay but is a 9.5/9 AU. My question is if I purchased the card and sent it to PSA would they re-grade it and would it be better value wise to have a PSA 10 over a BGS 9.5/9? I also wasnt sure if PSA grading graded based on the auto. I tried to look it up but had no success. I have always used BGS and collected BGS so I wasnt sure.

A PSA 05 Rodgers contenders recently sold for $1,6010.36

I lost out on the Rodgers BGS 9.5/10 by $50 and it sold for $1,750 but that was a few weeks ago.

The auction I'm going to negotiate for the Rodgers BGS 9.5/9 is set for around $1,400 so I'm just trying to evaluate what's the best move.

Any insight is welcome

Originally posted by HP7163 View Post
    Wasnt sure where to post this but here goes. I recently was in a conversation to purchase an Aaron Rodgers 2005 Contenders BGS 9.5/10 AU but the buyer got a better offer last minute.

So Ive been looking the last few weeks and one popped up on Ebay but is a 9.5/9 AU. My question is if I purchased the card and sent it to PSA would they re-grade it and would it be better value wise to have a PSA 10 over a BGS 9.5/9? I also wasnt sure if PSA grading graded based on the auto. I tried to look it up but had no success. I have always used BGS and collected BGS so I wasnt sure.

I lost out on the Rodgers BGS 9.5/10 by $50 and it sold for $1,750 but that was a few weeks ago.

The auction I'm going to negotiate for the Rodgers BGS 9.5/9 is set for around $1,400 so I'm just trying to evaluate what's the best move.

Any insight is welcome
    1. This is the right forum for your question.

2. I don't have any experience with graded cards (don't have the space for the slabbed cards in my room), but I'll be interested to see what comes back. I've been curious about how various graders are valued by collectors.

I hope you get some good feedback.
    - Dave

I collect Calvin, Barry, 1 auto each of rookie Lions that make the team & HOF auto & GU.

Albums

Updated 3/25/2016

Comment

Thanks. I just wasnt sure if it would be better to get that BGS 9.5/9 re-graded to a PSA 10 or to just go and try to get a BGS 9.5/10 (or PSA 10)

looking to get the most value for the $$

Comment

(Question)
        Originally posted by HP7163 View Post

(Answer)
        Yes, this is the correct area for your thread.

(Question)

(Answer)
        If the card in question is a vintage card as oppose to a modern card, your best bet is PSA/DNA. PSA/DNA will do a grading process strictly on the auto. It will also state (The top of the card) that the grade given is for the auto only. BGS will do grading based on an auto only as well. But understand that as you request for a grade on the card and on the auto, the cost will be adjusted accordingly for both PSA/DNA and BGS.

(Question)

Any insight is welcome
        (Answer)
        Sounds like a good deal! I assume that this card in question is a Rodgers rookie card which would place the year as 2005. BGS is the correct direction to go with. In my humble opinion, I would start with a lower price to negotiate with. You can always go higher, you will never ever go lower. Ultimately, the card is only worth what the buyer will pay for. I've seen many high end cards on eBay at book value trying to sell for many months with no one to bid or offer a price due to the high cost. That's not to say it's not worth what the sellar is asking, it's just the issue with cost and the economy. If the economy is struggling, then any hobby will suffer due to this as well.
        I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

i don't do a lot of graded cards but I've always been told(& my LCS practices this also) that PSA is best for vintage cards & BGS for present day cards. I'm not a hundred percent certain but I don't think PSA grades autos, only authenticates them, and most guys that deal w/ graded(that I've seen) prefer to have graded autos.
          -Brady

Looking for mainly Cowboys, Andy Dalton
          http://sportscardalbum.com/u/bcw716
          http://s1291.beta.photobucket.com/us...62121686120534

Comment

Originally posted by bcw716 View Post
            i don't do a lot of graded cards but I've always been told(& my LCS practices this also) that PSA is best for vintage cards & BGS for present day cards. I'm not a hundred percent certain but I don't think PSA grades autos, only authenticates them, and most guys that deal w/ graded(that I've seen) prefer to have graded autos.
            Yes, bcw716 is correct in his statement and I stand corrected. PSA/DNA authenticates autos only and they will grade cards. And as bcw716 and I mentioned above, PSA/DNA is best for vintage cards. BGS will authenticate and grade autos. And BGS will also grade your card. As I mentioned above, the cost of this additional grading and authentification will make your expense rise with each request. In the end it is worth the extra money and time if you plan to sell the card on the secondary market. If you choose to keep it, whom ever you leave the card with will greatly appreciate your hard work.
            I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

Comment

A quick note; stray far and clear from a grading company called GAI. I've read many underhanded and unscrupulous grading done within this corporation. They are currently in several litigations. I always see Brett Favre rookie cards that normally sell for $130.00 from PSA/DNA or BGS. The Favre cards are always selling at $35.00 to $40.00 from GAI. Whats wrong with this picture? You can google and read about them.

Also read CBC "How To" section, they have a section in regards to grading.

Comment

Working...
              X