2012 Contenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Contenders

Mrs. Toshi and I would purchase cards together, then after we reflect on the design, we would go to CBC and leave a comment below the review Ryan Cracknell wrote. That area is for any collector to leave their like and dislikes. There's even a rating of 5 stars, 5 being the best.

I couple of weeks ago, I went through our old reviews and found two people that were very angry with me. They left upsetting remarks about my review. I was shocked and sad. I did not think anyone would get upset with what I wrote. Actually, Mrs. Toshi, my son, daughter, or Brett helps me write everything due to my limitations. I did not know what to do.

So I became angry, I was going to write back and call both of them this or that! Well, I thought about it and said; "I have to understand that this will happen in life! I'll be the better person." Instead of not replying, I wrote a heart felt apology and told them I will never be so critical in a review. I thanked both of them and left it as that.

I just thought I'd share that with my brothers and sisters whom are my second family at the Card Collectors World!

Thank you,

Toshi

Matt Gilman | Nov 17, 2012 | Reply

5 Autographs
    3 Rookie Stallions
    3 Legendary Contenders
    3 Rookie of the Year Contenders
    3 MVP Contenders
    120 Total Cards
    A breakdown of a box like you guys posted is what makes this product nice. 5 autographs..though mostly rookies..is where this set is made in value. A decent amount of cards in a box and a decent price makes this a product that I among other seek a lot yearly.

Tyler | Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

5 Autographs
    (4 non-variation rookie tickets)
    (1 RPS REDEMPTION Stephen Hill non-variation)
    (0/2 “guaranteed” on-card autographs stated on sell sheet)

NO on-card autos, ONLY 1 RPS (& that was a redemption) 4 non-variation no-name rookie tickets (3 undrafted.) Needless to say I’m disappointed.

Keith | Feb 10, 2013 | Reply

I would like to start by saying that the cards look great & that’s what keeps me coming back each year. Unfortunately what is advertised is not what I found in the box. Panini advertises 5 autos 2 being on-card. My breakdown was more like this:

5 sticker auto
    0 variation

Considering the 2012 draft I was expecting a little more from Panini this year.

justin | Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

1 on-card auto….!!!!!!! 5 total autos is great, but they will prob. not be in the league next year. I used to be the biggest fan of this product. Now, Im not so sure. Recommendations… DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!

Jeff | Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

When are the short prints announced ?Thank you Ryan.

Ryan Cracknell | Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

Jeff » Here you go: 2012 Panini Contenders Football Rookie Ticket Short Prints Guide

Panini said there’s more but haven’t confirmed them yet. We’ll update this page as they’re released.

john h | Feb 13, 2013 | Reply

Love the rookie contenders are i hope they don’t change

Billy | Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

I love getting 6 autos when I open a box! New lines in the future need to follow suite!

Toshi | Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Ladies and gentleman, to all concerned. I’ve finally found a hobby that my wife and I both enjoy! Of course, she authorizes what can be spent within our budget. But it’s also nice to have a second set of eyes to help in picking the various products that are available. We both seem to agree that our favorite 2012 products are Topps Platinum & Triple Threads. The other products that we both enjoy are Panini Certified, Prizm, and Black. Which leads me into this nice segway, 2012 Panini Contenders! She inquired on several ocassions in regards to a hobby box, I told her to hold off and see if a retail blaster box would be available soon. Well, our patience has rewarded us in this regard. Upon opening the packs, we both commented that the faux ticket on the side seems to make the card design look cheap. The information in regards to the ticket is redundant at best, I found that the only useful information was the home stadium of the player. As for the print and stock quality, we seem to agree that Panini does an excellent job and has yet to disappoint us. As for the most important part in this exciting hobby? HITS! Contenders seems to have taken care of this issue with a auto of Quinton Coples (Not on card), Legendary Champions (Phil Simms) and 2 die cuts. One of Chandler Jones and a MVP of Aaron Rodgers. The later being the card that I am most excited about. As for our rating of 2 stars? Our humble opinion is that of the aforementioned, somewhat gaudy ticket design, has the both of us giving this set a 2 star rating. Looking back, it’s unfair to judge this set against Prizm. Prizm is one of the best designs out there, and not many sets can stand up to the quality and design of Prizm. But that’s what was released prior to Contenders. Will I buy or recommend this product? Buy no, recommend yes, if your inclination is to get autos. We are excitedly awaiting the release of “Totally Certified”! When we rip through the foil packs from the hobby box (I told my wife that I would like to purchase this set) we will enthusiastically share our review with everyone.

Scott B. | Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Wow is all I can say about the comments here..Educate yourselves over 10-20 yrs. in buying and collecting before picking something apart and making uneducated comments.

Jim M | Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Scott. Toshi, how can you “recommend” a product but not purchase that said product? Prizm is a POS product, 2-autos a box with basically the same RC distribution as Contenders and base Topps Chrome. COMPLETE CRAP AND VERY DISAPPOINTED IN TOPPS. Opened 20 boxes of this product and hit 6 autos in 18 of 20 boxes. The case I opened, hit 6 autos in 12 of 12 boxes. Anyone else have this success? Also have 8 variations that aren’t listed on Panini’s ticket SP and ticket variation SP…any idea on whats up with unlisted variations???

Toshi | Aug 15, 2013 | Reply

Please except my apology Scott B. and Jim M. It was not my intention to disrespect the both you in anyway. I will not make any more negative comments on products from today and moving forward. I assumed this was a review section done by non-professional card collectors. Thank you gentleman for your rebuttal of my comments.

Toshi

Review This Product
    Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website

Rate this product from 1 to 5 stars using the following rating scale:
    Overall Rating
    1 Star - Avoid this product like the plague
    2 Stars - Below Average Product
    3 Stars - Average Product
    4 Stars - Excellent Product
    5 Stars - Incredible Product
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Here is a little treat, or a faux contest if you will. If I have 10 members requesting to see my angry rebuttal? I will write it for fellow members and post it here. Don't worry plank owners or moderators, it has no bad words. But you all will definitely laugh at this!!!!!!! I kept my original.

Toshi
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

Comment

Toshi,

Since getting back in the hobby, I've found out that there are 2 main products everyone goes crazy for. Contenders & Topps Chrome. Traditionally, I've hated both. I did like the 2012 Contenders though and actually bought a few boxes for the first time ever. I absolutely hate Topps Chrome. I think it's overrated and overpriced. The cards constantly bow & you get a whopping one auto per box. The color stuff does look nice but I don't go out of my way or spend big bucks to get any of it like everyone else does. The Hobby has changed A TON since I'd been away & most people are in it to flip cards and make a profit. Contenders & Chrome seem to be the best products for that.

Don't be afraid to stick to your guns & let the hobby snobs tell you what you do & don't like. Collect what looks nice to you b/c at the end of the day, you're the one that gets to look at it everyday. It's still a hobby to me, I collect the players I like & buy boxes here & there of what I like and don't worry about everyone else.
      -Brady

Looking for mainly Cowboys, Andy Dalton
      http://sportscardalbum.com/u/bcw716
      http://s1291.beta.photobucket.com/us...62121686120534

Comment

Thank you for your support!!!!!

I will not purchase Contenders. I only did so due to last years Target Exclusive of ROW cards. As for chrome? I will get a "Blaster Box" here and there, but like you, I have not purchased a Chrome hobby box due to the same reason you pointed out. One hit per box!

Comment

toshi, stick to your guns, not everyone will ever agree on any product. some will love it and some will hate it. that was just your opinion of that product and like you they also have an opinion that differs from yours so why should you have to apoligize to them
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/92956495@N04/sets/

my photobucket is my collection. some will be easier to trade than others, so don't be offended if I turn down a trade offer I don't like
          I collect hof au's/gu's,rcs and select lions/bears/vikings/twins/cubs for friends

Comment

I'm not a fan of all products and don't care what people think of my box picks and I don't care to buy something Cruz someone else did. I buy products that give me a chance at good quality market finds and panini and upper deck never disappoint. Things like five star and national treasures don't phase me just Cuz I can't afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuser View Post
              toshi, stick to your guns, not everyone will ever agree on any product. some will love it and some will hate it. that was just your opinion of that product and like you they also have an opinion that differs from yours so why should you have to apoligize to them
              From my immediate family, everyone said to move on and don't let this upset you. I wanted to hear what real veteran collectors opinions would be. It seems that my second family of forum members has mirrored the same opinion. Collect what you like, it's your collection! This is so very true and to the point!

Thank you for your support!

Comment

Originally posted by checkmycards2013 View Post
                I'm not a fan of all products and don't care what people think of my box picks and I don't care to buy something Cruz someone else did. I buy products that give me a chance at good quality market finds and panini and upper deck never disappoint. Things like five star and national treasures don't phase me just Cuz I can't afford it.
                This is true, buy what you like. I realize that ultimately it's your collection, not someone's else. I just have seen people criticize the products not an individual. So this is a first for me.

Thank you for your support!

Comment

What makes this hobby great is picking what you like and collecting that regardless of what is supposedly the best to collect. I am a vintage fan so I like the cards that look like the ones from long ago. I also love getting autographs on cards (which value-wise is a no-no). People say they can not be authenticated and want a COA. If I am collecting for me, I don't really care!
                  Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
                  Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
                  Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Originally posted by ucffans View Post
                    What makes this hobby great is picking what you like and collecting that regardless of what is supposedly the best to collect. I am a vintage fan so I like the cards that look like the ones from long ago. I also love getting autographs on cards (which value-wise is a no-no). People say they can not be authenticated and want a COA. If I am collecting for me, I don't really care!
                    Your words are so true, I am the exact opposite. I prefer to collect cards with autos and jerseys that come directly from the manufacture. Whether Topps, Panini, Leaf, Press Pass, Sage, or Upper Deck, I relish the fact when the card states that the auto and relic are genuine via the card manufacture.

Now, am I correct in my collecting autos and jerseys having been done by card manufactures? Or are you correct in your way of collecting and acquiring autos via in person or otherwise? We are both correct and exactly the opposite! I now realize from fellow forum members that not only are our collections unique and personal in perspective, but there are no wrong way of collecting as well!

Thank you so much for your information!

Comment

Working...
                    X