Chargers agree to trade CB Cromartie to Jets for 2011 draft pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers agree to trade CB Cromartie to Jets for 2011 draft pick

It might be a lot tougher to throw against the New York Jets next season.

A few hours before the NFL's free-agency period began, the Jets agreed to acquire talented but troubled cornerback Antonio Cromartie from the San Diego Chargers in a trade Thursday night.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reported the trade, and the Jets later confirmed the deal to The Associated Press but didn't release specifics. According to La Canfora, the Chargers will receive at least a third-round selection in 2011, and it could become a second-round pick, depending on Cromartie's performance.

Cromartie was an All-Pro in 2007 and will team with Darrelle Revis in the Jets' secondary, making them possibly the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. Cromartie replaces Lito Sheppard, who was released earlier in the day after one disappointing season.

It could be a welcome change for Cromartie, who has struggled the last two seasons. He has 15 interceptions in four seasons since being the 19th overall pick out of Florida State in 2006, but the Chargers were dissatisfied with Cromartie's performance late last season and in the playoffs. Chargers general manager A.J. Smith made it clear that he would try to trade Cromartie.

One of Cromartie's low moments actually came against his new team in the playoffs in January. Cromartie froze as Jets running back Shonn Greene hit the hole at the start of a 53-yard touchdown run that gave New York a 10-point lead midway through the fourth quarter of a 17-14 victory in the AFC divisional round. Cromartie eventually caught up to Greene and gave him a shove well after he'd crossed the goal line -- but the cornerback already had drawn the ire of fans and apparently the Chargers.

Cromartie, 25, also has had his share of legal troubles. He has dealt with at least five paternity suits; he has fathered seven children by several woman. Cromartie also had a bar patron claim that the cornerback hit him in the head with a champagne bottle hours after the team's victory at Denver last November. San Diego police later said there wasn't enough evidence to prove the claim.

Cromartie also was disciplined by coach Norv Turner for breaking Chargers rules regarding tweeting from the team premises.

For more on all 32 NFL teams, check out the latest from our bloggers.

ยป Blog Blitz
    Despite the issues both on and off the field, Cromartie gives Jets coach Rex Ryan an athletic player with loads of potential.

In his second season in 2007, Cromartie set the Chargers' franchise record with an NFL-leading 10 interceptions, and he added two more picks in the playoffs as San Diego made it to the AFC Championship Game. He also was credited earlier in that season with the longest play in NFL history when he returned a missed field-goal attempt by the Minnesota Vikings 109 yards for a touchdown.

Cromartie boasted the next season that he wanted to break the NFL record for interceptions with 14, but he had just two while playing throughout the year with a hip injury. Cromartie had three interceptions last season.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/92956495@N04/sets/

my photobucket is my collection. some will be easier to trade than others, so don't be offended if I turn down a trade offer I don't like
    I collect hof au's/gu's,rcs and select lions/bears/vikings/twins/cubs for friends

Because the Jets really needed to improve there defense? lol

This move should help that defense out there, Cromartie will need to start playing more consistent though

Comment

cromartie is a good player, nice idea for the jets
      Looking for Stephen Curry, Jonas Jerebko, Chad Jenkins, Lions Rookies, Tigers, Pistons
      sigpic

Comment

What does 7 kids+6 women+5 states=

Antonio Cromartie
        Click On Awesome Banner To Go To My Site

Comment

Originally posted by GoJets9096822 View Post
          What does 7 kids+6 women+5 states=

Antonio Cromartie
          I'm curious as to why you even follow sports? Seems like every post you make is a degrading one towards whatever player the thread is about....

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
          Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
          Johnson/Mears/
          Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Such a sick secondary
            Bucket l Los Angeles Inspiration l Tradelist
            Collecting GU/Patches/Autos:
            Dodgers, UCLA, Mexico, Adrian Gonzalez, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant,
            Joe Johnson, Toney Douglas, Tony Gonzalez, Matt Ryan

Comment

Not sure if Cromartie could handle the media here.. Looks like they filled a hole with gun powder as a temporary fix..

Chris

Kazmir Collection 1621/2986 - 54.2%

like Mohammed Ali I float like a butterfly
              but sting like poison ivy

My tradesite

Comment

Working...
              X