Flawless Football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flawless Football?

This morning I open the CBC page and the biggest headline I see is 2012-13 Panini Flawless Basketball. A little extra researching and some eBay pricing and???.....

A hobby box that sells for over $1,200.00. Made into a silver suitcase. Hmmm???....

Cards that are featured on CBC are in excess of $2,000.00 and rightly so. Names like Kyrie Irving, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James seem to carry the biggest premiums. A very nice set of cards that look something like 2012 Panini National Treasures Football minus a Thousand Dollars. Wow! Wow???....

On eBay, there are several cards for sale of names I've never heard of selling for $14.00. What happened! How many hobby boxes are purchased to get that $10,000.00 card?....

Is there anyone who is a serious collector out there able to afford a $1,200.00 hobby box???.....

Would you buy a $1,200.00 hobby box???....

Will there be a Flawless Football???.....

Let me know, share your thoughts, and if you purchased one or know of someone whom purchased one, please share that experience with us. I'm very interested on the feedback. Whether it's Flawless or not!

Toshi
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

A little extra info:

The break consists of 7 on card autos numbered to #/25, 2 memorabilia cards, and one base. Dacrdworld is selling flawless for $2,100.00.
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

Comment

This is an amazing looking product, but $1200 for 10 cards is a bit too 'high end'. The two problems with this product that I see are: (1. The release date is ridiculous for a product that contains 'rookie' cards of players that are already starting their second year. This product should have been released during the NBA finals this past season as the basketball world was in a playoff frenzy. (2. Return on Investment. Though there are a large number of high dollar cards in this set; ie the 1/1 Kyrie Irving that sold for $19,999, the average card seems to be between $80-$120. Now basic math dictates that most boxes fall short or turn out to break even. Most of us would be happy to break even on any boxes we purchase, but a $1200 gamble to break even is quite the gamble indeed. I think the true winner with this product is the set collector who accumulates all the base cards and puts it together. Let's see how much that set turns out to be worth? Overall, I wouldn't turn down a box of this product but calling it 'flawless' is a little too much 'ego in a box' for me. Good luck to anyone who has the funds to do it. Just let me know if you pull any Knicks so I have time to pawn my car in order to get them from you.....lol. Have a great day to all and happy box busting to all!!

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy03 View Post
        This is an amazing looking product, but $1200 for 10 cards is a bit too 'high end'. The two problems with this product that I see are: (1. The release date is ridiculous for a product that contains 'rookie' cards of players that are already starting their second year. This product should have been released during the NBA finals this past season as the basketball world was in a playoff frenzy. (2. Return on Investment. Though there are a large number of high dollar cards in this set; ie the 1/1 Kyrie Irving that sold for $19,999, the average card seems to be between $80-$120. Now basic math dictates that most boxes fall short or turn out to break even. Most of us would be happy to break even on any boxes we purchase, but a $1200 gamble to break even is quite the gamble indeed. I think the true winner with this product is the set collector who accumulates all the base cards and puts it together. Let's see how much that set turns out to be worth? Overall, I wouldn't turn down a box of this product but calling it 'flawless' is a little too much 'ego in a box' for me. Good luck to anyone who has the funds to do it. Just let me know if you pull any Knicks so I have time to pawn my car in order to get them from you.....lol. Have a great day to all and happy box busting to all!!

Yes, these are exorbitant prices! If Dacradworld is selling a hobby box for $2,000.00, (By the way, Blowout is also selling Flawless at or around that price point) you'll need to bank $200.00 on every card pulled just to break even.

Comment

The LCS here has them listed at 1699(I think). They hadn't had anyone buy them yet. They also normally break a pack or two to let people look through to sell as singles & they hadn't even done that and wouldn't be. I think they were concerned with making their money back on it as well if piecing it out.

I was big into basketball collecting in the 90's and when I came back to the hobby a few years ago, I started out with basketball but quickly went back to football. To me, the only way you could make anything back on basketball is if you hit one of the big 4. Lebron, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Kobe &now you can add in Kyrie. it just wasn't worth it. I found that even hitting a legit superstar(Dirk, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, etc.) didn't carry a big enough market to make it worth staying the course in basketball. For the most part, rookies don't make a big impact so there wasn't really any room for progress. At least with football, new players step up to create a market so you don't have the stagnation that basketball seems to carry.

I don't think there will be a Flawless football this year b/c the rookie class is so weak. Next year will be a better class with lots of QB's expected to be taken fairly early so we may see flawless when Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football, et. al are around.

A couple high end I'm looking forward to picking up singles on are Ultimate Collection and Topps Museum(which I though was amazing in Baseball) even though I'm anti Topps.
          -Brady

Looking for mainly Cowboys, Andy Dalton
          http://sportscardalbum.com/u/bcw716
          http://s1291.beta.photobucket.com/us...62121686120534

Comment

Originally posted by bcw716 View Post
            The LCS here has them listed at 1699(I think). They hadn't had anyone buy them yet. They also normally break a pack or two to let people look through to sell as singles & they hadn't even done that and wouldn't be. I think they were concerned with making their money back on it as well if piecing it out.

I was big into basketball collecting in the 90's and when I came back to the hobby a few years ago, I started out with basketball but quickly went back to football. To me, the only way you could make anything back on basketball is if you hit one of the big 4. Lebron, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Kobe &now you can add in Kyrie. it just wasn't worth it. I found that even hitting a legit superstar(Dirk, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, etc.) didn't carry a big enough market to make it worth staying the course in basketball. For the most part, rookies don't make a big impact so there wasn't really any room for progress. At least with football, new players step up to create a market so you don't have the stagnation that basketball seems to carry.

I don't think there will be a Flawless football this year b/c the rookie class is so weak. Next year will be a better class with lots of QB's expected to be taken fairly early so we may see flawless when Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Football, et. al are around.

A couple high end I'm looking forward to picking up singles on are Ultimate Collection and Topps Museum(which I though was amazing in Baseball) even though I'm anti Topps.

That's an interesting perspective coming from a view point of a basketball card collector even though you're now a football card collector. I did not realize the collecting structure or hierarchy of basketball. Your description makes sense yet, it creates such a small market in that I would not want to collect basketball cards as well like you. The risks are so great that it takes away the fun of collecting.

I don't collect football cards to create a financial gain. I collect football cards because it's a hobby that Mrs. Toshi par takes with me. It is a nice so to speak; "Icing on the cake" to find the several hundred dollar card. So to spend that much funds on basketball cards yet to walk away with minimal gains actually causes a certain amount of stress as far as I am concerned. Thank you so much for the input!

Toshi

Comment

Originally posted by hayn View Post
              That's an interesting perspective coming from a view point of a basketball card collector even though you're now a football card collector. I did not realize the collecting structure or hierarchy of basketball. Your description makes sense yet, it creates such a small market in that I would not want to collect basketball cards as well like you. The risks are so great that it takes away the fun of collecting.

I don't collect football cards to create a financial gain. I collect football cards because it's a hobby that Mrs. Toshi par takes with me. It is a nice so to speak; "Icing on the cake" to find the several hundred dollar card. So to spend that much funds on basketball cards yet to walk away with minimal gains actually causes a certain amount of stress as far as I am concerned. Thank you so much for the input!

Toshi
              I'm with you. I collect to collect, not to make money. Basketball is priced higher b/c there is more star power in the sport as a whole but as a collector, the prices don't justify the risk unless you can hit one of the top few guys.
              -Brady

Looking for mainly Cowboys, Andy Dalton
              http://sportscardalbum.com/u/bcw716
              http://s1291.beta.photobucket.com/us...62121686120534

Comment

Working...
              X