It's time to Sell! Sell! Sell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time to Sell! Sell! Sell!

That's been the mood around Wall Street. Buy low, sell high. Sounds theoreticaly sound, seems easy to do, makes sense to even the layman, but it's about the execution. Everything is based on time. Our existence is based all on time, in approximately thirty plus days, people the world over will rejoice in starting a new time. Some forty years ago, a band called Pink Floyd dedicated an entire album on time. I once taught a class on this very thesis, everyone said I lost my mind until I showed up on campus with my band and played excerpts from Dark Side of the Moon modified in jazz. Ha ha to the students and professors from Sweelink Conservatory! Where am I going with this? All the way!

First and foremost, we are collectors. Not of sports, but out of pieces of cardboard that depicts a point in time. The human mind relishes on time past and present. Many collectors may disagree, I've collected a T-206. I don't watch baseball, don't care to watch baseball, nor want to go to a baseball game. So why the T-206? Because it depicts a certain period of time. 1911 to be exact.

As I sit in our living room and watch the various football clubs compete with each other, I wondered out loud to Brett; "Wow, what happened to your boy RGIII"! His reply; "Oh it's this and or that. Excuses excuses. What about your cherished 2012 Panini Prizm SP Auto RGIII card? You're going to have to sell it before it's time! With a face of horror, he's speechless, tries to think of a comeback, then politely smiles. He's had this conversation with me on many ocassions, he knows, it's about time. When is it too early, or too late to cut your losses. I've joked with him that I'll give him all my cards with autos, memorabilia, or both. He says to keep it. I tell him; "When I die, it's all yours. So take it now if you will, don't worry. It's a matter of time"!

Look at a simple graft made by the NFL via online. You can see all thirty two teams set up according to their loss or gain. Wall Street? Fans have been predicting that their teams will be the next Super Bowl contender. Every year, that I've been following the NFL from 2009 to present, I see the same rotation all based on the health of a football club. It's a game, a game played within our lives. For some clubs, it can be the end of a season. We all know that the King Cobra (For you crazy car nuts, I'm not talking about a 1967 Mustang King Cobra 427 double pumber that blows through the quarter in twelve seconds stock from FoMoCo) is a deadly snake with little or almost no enemies except one. The lowly mongoose (Not Don "The Mongoose" Garlits). He knows he has some immunity to the King Cobra. He will feign death, once this deadly reptile sees it's competition dead and let's his guard down, up strikes the mongoose killing the King Cobra with cunning time, only to bring home a tasty meal for the mongoose family. Awww, how nice.

So as we excitedly watch the literal rise and fall of NFL dynasties, the answer to everyone's question arises right before our eyes. In December, we will see those clubs that are successful continue into the post season. All it takes to fall by the wayside is one cog of a gear that breaks. Aaron Rodgers, Michael Vick, and the many unknown line men to name a few. Like the wise mongoose, the smart teams (I always preach this to my children; "Work smart, not hard") will cry foul and limp. Then at the exact moment, a club that we all knew was done for the season, is now a divisional playoff team. A good example are the New York Giants. A few years ago, fans asked for Coughlin and E. Mannings head on a stake. Then, in a timely manner, the Giants win the Super Bowl.

Due to this years very good clubs that are playing bad, the chances of a club with subpar numbers can be within the reach of the Super Bowl. We as collectors will witness our cards from the 2012 draft class gain or loose. Over the next several years, our cherished collections will continue to grow, continue to be traded, and continue to remind us of a very specific time in our lives.

Thank you for reading my thread. It's from an old Japanese guy that has too much time on his hands.

Toshi
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Like I have said before toshi....2006 was supposed to be one of the best draft classes ever....
    names like vince young...reggie bush....matt leinart....but to be quite honest it was a bust...Mario Williams has proven to be the number one draft pick that was chosen...
    but where is leinart, and where is young...not starting anywhere...reggie has found a decent home in Detroit, but has not been able to live up to the hype that has followed him...
    the main thing is, you just never know....a few months ago, who really knew who case keenum was....everyone does now and the spike in his cards has reflected that...
    that same principle applied to tony room....no one knew who he was, and then all of the sudden, bam, his cards skyrocketed after every one had thrown them into common boxes...im guilty of that...haha that is what is so awesome about this thing called collecting...you just never know!!!!

and you can tell I was not an English major...a few run on sentences..and bad punctuation...but whatever...lol
    BreesFan1977's Library | Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by cueballz1 View Post
      Like I have said before toshi....2006 was supposed to be one of the best draft classes ever....
      names like vince young...reggie bush....matt leinart....but to be quite honest it was a bust...Mario Williams has proven to be the number one draft pick that was chosen...
      but where is leinart, and where is young...not starting anywhere...reggie has found a decent home in Detroit, but has not been able to live up to the hype that has followed him...
      the main thing is, you just never know....a few months ago, who really knew who case keenum was....everyone does now and the spike in his cards has reflected that...
      that same principle applied to tony room....no one knew who he was, and then all of the sudden, bam, his cards skyrocketed after every one had thrown them into common boxes...im guilty of that...haha that is what is so awesome about this thing called collecting...you just never know!!!!

and you can tell I was not an English major...a few run on sentences..and bad punctuation...but whatever...lol

Yes, you just never know whom will be the next big sports superstar. Your grammar is fine. Don't worry about it!

Toshi
      I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

Working...
      X