Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Collector

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forums. Like it a lot, the Cardboard Connection site is awesome as well.

I do have a question, if you don't mind me asking. (A member suggested I post this here.) So, I'm a returning collector (baseball, even though I'm actually a bigger fan of football) after about 30 years. I collected when I was young. So I'm fairly familiar with sports card collecting, but it's obviously a whole new ball game.

My question is in regards to football cards. I want to start a collection, but am unsure of what brand to go with. I want to keep it simple for now, and fairly cheap, if possible. I would be doing it purely for fun, not so much concerned with the investment potential. However, I don't want to end up with a bunch of cards nobody cares about either. Know what I mean?

So, do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Have a good one!

Squirmy1970

I think that each collector will have a different (even if it's only slightly different) idea about collecting.

This will be YOUR collection so, for the most part, it'll be up to you.

Simple & cheap (to me) are the base sets put out by each of the card producing companies each year.

Topps, Score, Upper Deck, etc. are lower priced products with fairly simple inserts & parallels inserted.

National Treasures & Ultimate are high dollar products with much more elaborate parallels & inserts.

If I were just starting out, I would go to an auction site & look up a player that I'm thinking about collecting. Then I could sort "Buy it now" items from low to high sale prices & browse through them until I find some that I like. I could then decide to buy those specific cards or search for boxes of the product(s) I like & buy those.

Does that make any sense?

I hope this helped.
    - Dave

I collect Calvin, Barry, 1 auto each of rookie Lions that make the team & HOF auto & GU.

Albums

Updated 3/25/2016

Comment

Ejiminee is absolutely correct with the whole process. I just started in this hobby a year ago. I've collected almost everything that debut. I've definitely been a little more careful with my purchases this year. Having said that, 2012 was a fantastic year for football card collectors. So I've been building a 2012 Topps Chrome complete set. So far I have the base, 1957, 1965, and 1984. This was completed efficiently and most importantly in a cost saving manner.

In retrospect, as Ejiminee mentioned, it's your collection, have fun with it, and pick a few things here or there that you enjoy the most.

Toshi
      I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi

Comment

A quick note:

Since, you like me, come from a generation that grew up with the likes of Elway, Montana, Rice, and Favre, you could concentrate your collecting on the legends. That way you'll have cards that are known with everyone and not have cards of names long forgotten. There are pricy auto memorabilia cards if you are so inclined to do so? Or the inexpensive yet hard to find inserts. This market is very hot! When I see some of these cards, I wonder outloud if any of these cards were in my bike spokes on a weekend ride with friends.
        I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice, much appreciated. I think I'm going to go with Topps (basic, regular, or whatever it's called?) and sprinkle in something different, when budget allows.

Some of the info I've seen about Panini sounds interesting. Another question. What is considered the hierarchy of Topps cards? By that I mean, Topps basic, then Topps Prime, etc?

Thanks again!

Squirmy1970

Comment

Topps, Topps Bowman, Topps Prime, Topps Archives, Topps Chrome, Topps Platinum, Topps Magic, Topps Turkey Red, Topps Finest, Topps Inception, Topps Valor, Topps Supreme, Topps Triple Threads, Topps Bowman Sterling, Topps Five Star.
            Last edited by hayn; 11-24-2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks Hayn, I appreciate it!

Squirmy1970

Comment

Notate that Archives, Magic, Supreme, and Valor made it's debut in 2012. Turkey Red is a Topps product that was available only and sold exclusively as an online purchase.
                Last edited by hayn; 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Squirmy,

First off you have to try and decide who or what to collect. There is so much stuff out there, it can be overwhelming. And you have to decide, do I want sets, or do I want a player or team collection.

Here is my collection in a nutshell.

One thing I do every year now is collect a Topps Baseball base set. No inserts, just series 1 and series 2 and the full 660 base card set.

From there, all I collect are Boston teams. I want them in the Boston uni or in a minor league uni or their college uni if drafted by the Boston team. I collect everything from base to inserts to GU to Autos. Now, why do I do this? Well, honestly, I can always find something to chase in this case. And when I pull something high end, I can trade it for some of my higher end wants. But, I never run out of stuff to collect, and there is so much variation. So, I don't get overwhelmed anymore, I just see new subsets, and say to myself, can't wait to get one of those!!!

It's all in good fun as a collector. Just find what you are interested in and like and go get it! It doesn't matter if it is low end Topps base or high End FIve Star stuff. Find what YOU like and then it doesn't matter.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
                  Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
                  Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
                  MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
                  NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
                  NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
                  NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
                  I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

You definitely need to determine what you are interested in. Ejiminee laid out the products pretty well for you.
                    Trading for all Cleveland teams in Cleveland uniforms, Cleveland minor league affiliates & Columbus Bluejackets

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys, much appreciated. I think I'm gonna collect Topps Football (regular, base) and mix in a little Panini too make it more interesting.

That being said, any suggestions on a particular Panini product? I'm leaning towards Panini Prizm or Panini R & S.

Squirmy1970

Comment

I personally do not like Prizm at all. Prizm hits have one facet. Autos and different inserts with colored parallels. I prefer products with jersey auto cards. It allows myself as a collector to have a huge variety of options. Rookies and Stars is just not my taste.

I'm prejudice in that example. My Panini products that I enjoy are Certified, Crown, Absolute, Momentum, and Black. These products that I prefer tend to be somewhat costly. I enjoy the high end quality of these cards.

This is just one very very small example of a collector namely me. Remember to collect what you like and enjoy your collection. There are no right way nor wrong way!

Comment

Working...
                        X