Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNF Vinny Barbarino, and the "Sweathogs"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNF Vinny Barbarino, and the "Sweathogs"!

Back in the 70's, there was a sit com called "Welcome Back Kotter". It was based on a group of inner city kids called the "Sweathogs" in need of an extra ciriculum to assist in the motivation of intellect. Of course the star was Mr. Kotter played by Gabe Kaplan. I was only 10 then. Hey, young forum members, don't laugh. I grew up in a very different time. When I was 5, I was determined to marry Shirley Temple, the Vietnam War was at it's apex and the American public was still in shock of the assassination of JFK, MLK, and many forget that JFK had a younger brother that was also assassinated a short time later by Sirhan, Sirhan. And twenty minutes from my home, students were shot at Kent State University by our military. From Watergate to impeachment of a United States President! If I had one word to describe the mid-60's into the 70's it would be "Tumultuous"!

Getting back to the "Sweathogs", there were several very funny and foolish charachters that made that show. From Epstein, Washington, Horseshack, and the infamous Barbarino played by John Travolta. It was his dancing in "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" that landed him the role in "Saturday Night Fever". His popularity on this show made him a star. He was famous for a small handful of words. No! Not those words! Remember, this is TV in the 70's! Every time Mr. Kotter asked him a question, an example would be; "Barbarino? Did you do your homework?" His reply was; "What". Your homework! "Where". Yes, where is your homework! "When". The work that is due today! "How". And that was his big skit in this show. In the end you had a heart for the "Sweathogs". They try, they try their best! They fail! They laugh, and move on!

For you big time collectors, there was a lunch box, a comic, a figure, and a magazine. The theme song was at the top of the chart and I read that Ice Cube will be playing Mr. Kotter in a movie remake.

Last night was a "Welcome Back Kotter" episode. At first, with great hesitation, I told Mrs. Toshi that the New York Giants will win due to the missed plays of the "Sweathogs". I mean Redskins! Mrs. Toshi agreed. Then to see the "Skins and RGIII" to score on their very first play of the year was fascinating. It left me in awe. What excitement! This is the Redskins and RGIII OF 2012. Here comes Eli. Fumble, overthrow, underthrow, not protecting their asset Eli, WR not holding on to the ball, turnover. Typical Giants mayhem, consistently inconsistent, or was it?

As the game went on, I had to check if this was the correct game? It looked like the Giants and Redskins, but they played like the Cleveland Browns playing the Cleveland Browns! Yes, a dual universe! Oh my god! Two Brandon Weedons? The world will truly end. Ultimately, both teams played bad football, especially on a nation wide prime time debut. This is embarrassing. As the game wore on with mistakes and several, several lead changes due to mistakes, we finally got to see the outcome. Sloppy plays without no focus, Davis and Garçon not doing their jobs. Everyone blamed the refs for the wrong down, wrong time, wrong everything. When in reality, right call or not from the refs? It would not have made any difference. A very controversial ending. Ultimately, both teams have no one to blame but themselves come December and they need to get back to the basics. I know the Giants and the Redskins are better teams than this.

As I watched the debacle, I waited for RGIII to question Mr. Kotter, what, where, when, why, and how. One word to explain this game; "Tumultous"!

Toshi

Tonight MNF, Saints at Seahawks! Will they square off to claim NFC Supremecy? Can the Saints play against the 12th man? I guess if there was a team up to this challenge it would be The New Orleans Saints led by Drew Brees!
    I am easy, I collect any and all NFL cards. Individual players I really enjoy are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and Russell Wilson. My passion is Favre rookie cards and vintage cards.

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/toshi
Working...
X